SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Confused about DELETE syntax

I'm not sure if I'm using this delete statment or not. I have 7 tables set up where each row has a unique ID number, which matches up with rows in other tables. What I want to do is delete all of those row from all the tables that match the unique ID number.

Here's the statement I tried:

Code:
    DELETE FROM maintable, storage, arrangement, format, textareas, record_retention, record_status WHERE maintable.UID=3 AND storage.UID_ref=3 AND arrangement.UID_ref=3 AND format.UID_ref=3 AND textareas.UID_ref=3 AND record_retention.UID_ref=3 AND record_status.UID_ref=3
    Here's the error I got:
    Code:
    You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE maintable.UID=3 AND storage.UID_ref=3 AND arrangement.UID_ref=3 AND format' at line 1
    Any ideas?

Sell crazy someplace else markl999's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Multi table delete syntax is:
    DELETE maintable.*, storage.*, arrangement.*, format.*, textareas.*, record_retention.*, record_status.* FROM maintable, storage, arrangement, format, textareas, record_retention, record_status WHERE maintable.UID=3 AND storage.UID_ref=3 AND arrangement.UID_ref=3 AND format.UID_ref=3 AND textareas.UID_ref=3 AND record_retention.UID_ref=3 AND record_status.UID_ref=3

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/delete.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're using the single table syntax. For multi-table operations you will need table_references. See MySQL manual for more information. (It's 5.0 manual but this issue is same as of MySQL >=3.23)
    Patrick

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, that was the problem