SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Specialized Recurring Billing Problem - How Can I Solve It?

I am starting a site where customers will be able to advertise one or more vacation rental properties with me. I will bill these customers on a monthly basis for the listing. Customers will be charged based upon the number of properties they are listing in addition to some listing options they might choose, such as extra photos, etc.

I currently do not have a billing solution in place, and am researching various options. I was hoping I could prevail upon the wisdom in this group to help me craft a solution that will meet the following criteria....

1.) I will bill my customers on the first day of each month. If a customer places an order on a day other than the first day of the month, I will prorate the monthly fee for the days remaining in the month, then charge the full fee on the first day of the following month.

2.) I need to be able to change the amount of the monthly fee as customers add/remove properties and options.

3.) I want the customer's credit card to reflect that the charges are from my company, and not a third party like PayPal.

4.) I need all of this functionality integrated with my web site. I do not wish to send customers to a third party page. I am a programmer, so integrating with someone's API won't be a problem.

5.) I do not wish to store the customer's credit card data myself.

My hosting company offers me a deal through PayQuake, who is an Authorize.net reseller. I've looked at Authorize.net's AIM API, and it doesn't seem like it will support what I want to do. It doesn't seem like I can do what I want to do with them directly unless I store the CC information myself and write a service that bills at the proper intervals.

I feel like I need a 3rd party between me and Authorize.net that will hold the CC information securely and bill the card when I make calls to it. Does anyone know of such a service? Am I on the right track here?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact Chris or Adam over at www.cdgcommerce.com. I beleive they have a solution that will do what you need actually with a gateway that can store part of the CC number while you store the other.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PC Charge Pro can do exactly what you need. No monthly fees either.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PC Charge Pro?

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

stymiee, I'm not exactly sure how PC Charge Pro can do all of the things that I listed in my original post. I went to the Verifone site and found the information to be quite lacking.

It seems that PC Charge Pro is a standalone app that I would buy and then integrate with my site. Is this correct? If so, it does not solve the problem of storing credit cards.

Could you elaborate on your suggestion please? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PC Charge would not be on your server (although I do believe this is technically possible it is not how it is commonly used). It resides on any PC you choose. It does have the capability to everything you want except for number 5 which I overlooked. However, If security is the reason why you don't want to store your customers' credit card numbers by having it on your PC and not your server, assuming you adequately protect your PC, you will have yheir information in a very safe and secure environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are scripts out there that allow you to charge web hosting customers on a monthly basis. You could maybe adapt one of those to do what you need. Check out hotscripts.com.
    Josh Ulfers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Ahhhhh!

I think I'm starting to get it now. I was very much stuck on the idea that I would do everything online in an automated fashion. I'm noticing from my research, coupled with what you've told me here, that encrypting the data and storing it offline is a good way to go. Then I can just run the charges by hand once a month. It's a little more manual than I wanted to go, but I think I can bring myself to do the task that will get me paid each month.

I will certainly look into PC Charge Pro. Thanks again to all of you!