SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    SitePoint Zealot JamesCross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Web Host Directory Forums

    We've been building a nice community since October last year, we've seen some excellent growth over the last 3 months and averaged over 300 new members a month for the past 2 months.

    The problem we're having is getting new members to contribute. We're probably only seeing around 5% of new members posting, which seems low compared to other boards.

    Any advice is welcome http://forums.webhostdir.com

    Thanks

  2. #2
    SitePoint Zealot JamesCross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Update

    We're still experiencing the same usage levels. Can anyone tell me whether this is normal?

  3. #3
    Sports Publisher mjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    5,891
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got a lot of competition and you have to give people a reason to be active there. That's why I say things aren't picking up. Upon visiting, you have a very nice site and good quality, but it's nothing new.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Zealot JamesCross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,

    We are unique in the percentage of buyers to sellers present on the boards. Around 80% of our members are consumers with the remaining 20% being actively involved in the hosting industry.

    Maybe we should be highlighting that fact as members join. Also we're not currently sending out any welcome emails to new members. Do you recommend this?

  5. #5
    Sports Publisher mjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    5,891
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course I would! That's we do and it will help some. Also, you might consider installing the hack "Community Bulletin Generator" so you can send regular mailings to all your members and yet allow them to unsubscribe.

  6. #6
    SitePoint Enthusiast Tommy Lai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hack for Welcome Email

    Thanks for the tip. I'm downloading the Community Bulletin Generator hack and will try it.

    I had a really good look for a hack that allows you to automatically send an email when a new member activates their account. Does such a hack exist?


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •