SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem getting IMA - ideas and recommendations needed

I have developed an osCommerce store that is selling mobile phones. Unfortunately as I don't have a trading history and the product is classed as high risk by the banks, IMA providers won't touch it.

I had considered going down the route of international IMA providers, but the decent gateways will only look at me if I use one of the UK cabal.

So now it looks like I will have to use a bureau service. I realise they have higher fees which is something I can live with, but I would really like the payment to take place - or look like it is taking place - within my store.

Am I asking too much? Is it really that bad for the customer to pay at a third-party website that would only look like my store by the most extraordinary of coincidences?

I had ruled out PayPal because Website PaymentsPro is not available outside the US, and PayPal say they don't have an exact timeframe for making it available in Europe. When I pressed them further, it turned out they don't even have an inexact timeframe, and I can't wait that long.

Should I settle for what I consider to be second-best until I have a trading history, or is there a solution out there for me?

Happy new year.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where are you located?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Northern Ireland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that counts as UK for this purpose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palgrave
    Am I asking too much? Is it really that bad for the customer to pay at a third-party website that would only look like my store by the most extraordinary of coincidences?
    No it is not bad at all. A lot of times customers even might expect it when you are selling somethig that is high risk.

Also if the banks will not support you I would not consider Paypal unless you are 100% certain that they will be able to support you as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try using one of the third party processing solutions in Europe to start out with. Once you have an account history after 6 months or a year, go to a merchant account provider and show them your (hopefully good) figures. A chargeback ratio below 1% is a must to get a direct merchant account. Some third party processing companies in Europe are:

Chronopay
    MultiCards
    WorldPay
    Metacharge
    Protx

Some of them can also help setting up a direct merchant account with your own descriptor, although their fees might be still a bit higher and with others there's even a possibility to use a script interface, where everything is done on your website. You will have to ask each of those processors if that is possible.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest going to safecharge I know that they consider high risk clients with no processing history

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I appreciate the help and will check them out.