User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check this chargeback out....

Got my first chargeback-yay for me.

Item was ordered nov21, I just got the form in the mail from my merchant. It was a $348 order. This same customer ordered another item from me in the past-but didnt file a claim. I have come to find out from a fellow online store that the customer filed a chargeback on them as well.

The first order she made (non chargeback) was sent to 123 Customer street using the name; JANE DOE...the one she is claiming was fraud uses SAME info, phone, etc (diff card number though). I contacted her, she says her cleaning crew was using data and ordering items and the crew has been fired and reported to police.

Here are the questions I have
    -Why is it my problem that she has stealing going on at her home...items were delivered to her billing address.

-The email she used to just contact me now, to tell me her 'story' is the same email on her account, the one with the so called fraud purchases. My order system sends 5 emails total for an order. 1-signup, 2 pending order, 3 processing order, 4 shipped order and a 5th one from my authorizenet with a receipt....so she gets all 5 of these and never wondered whats up? (she will probably claim the cleaning crew read her emails)

-My merchant account told me, i need a signature from her of a credit card slip, or delivery. Well, I am an online store, so no CC slip and I did not use signature confirmation for the USPS package-but it was sent to HER address-if it was another shipping address, I see me losing.

-The other store I know, that she also filed chargeback on, the fraud item was a pair of boots-when confronted, she knew the item was boots even though the store never said what the item was...

-My merchant account explained everything to me, and tells me you can not tell someone is lying just based on a 'hunch' or feeling...so I am kinda screwed (my words, not theirs)...so anyone have ideas on how I can get this person.

Anyway, let me know what methods I can do to get my money back...I just know this is a scam.
    Thanks

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sucks, but thats the system. Your only recourse is to sue her (or the cleaning company if indeed there is actual police report showing they were the ones).
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She at least emailed me back when I asked about why the chargeback-but like I said, her reply email was the same as the 6 order emails, so she knows.
    I asked her for the detective name and case # from the police...any chance she can be nabbed for mail fraud?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May want to chalk this one up to experience and see what the cost for having signature required packages would be...

$348 really wont be worth alot of your time most likely...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haddy
    May want to chalk this one up to experience and see what the cost for having signature required packages would be...

$348 really wont be worth alot of your time most likely...
    Yeah, I did take out insurance on this package, but I do not know if morally this qualifies as 'insurance' ya know.
    My last email I simply asked for the detectives name and case# so I can have our attorneys follow up on this and she wrote me back flippin out, saying I was harassing her and to stop emailing her. This person is a fraud and would love to put her scams to an end, but oh well.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Send her a certified letter explaining that you need the police report, and if you don't receive it, then I would pursue with small claims court, sue for the amount + court costs.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild boar
    Send her a certified letter explaining that you need the police report, and if you don't receive it, then I would pursue with small claims court, sue for the amount + court costs.
    That is a good idea-I just hate scumbags who take advantage of the system, The money is not a big deal, its the principle. She will go down in flames.
    I just looked at the IP addresses of the orders, the one she says is legit and the so called fraud. Same IP addresses, and both orders placed at 9pm at night...so she is telling me her cleaning crew made the fraud order (cleaning her house at 9pm...after she told me in her first email she gets home at 7pm every night-BS)

Any other tips on how to nab this thief would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the real scam is credit card companies for running a system like this

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demosfen
    the real scam is credit card companies for running a system like this
    And what exactly should they do? As unfortunate as it may be the burden of proof belongs on the merchant, not the card holder. If someone takes my card and uses it to order 50 items, I should not have to spend a month proving it wasn't me... so long as I can establish fraud. Yes merchant providers can do more to investigate claims on our behalf but ultimately if one credit card doesn't easily process fraud claims and demands more info, people will just move on.

As for the main issue... either this lady has a police report or she doesn't. This claim is much different from the normal "some random person took my information or credit card" claim in that she is asserting (in writing) that someone she specifically knew took her card. If no report exists to back this up, and she is unwilling to file one, you could have a good basis for a lawsuit, assuming you are willing to sue for that little money.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S
    And what exactly should they do?
    Lots of things. I like the way e-gold does it, no chargebacks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    e-gold? Please explain.. never heard of it..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S
    And what exactly should they do? As unfortunate as it may be the burden of proof belongs on the merchant, not the card holder. If someone takes my card and uses it to order 50 items, I should not have to spend a month proving it wasn't me... so long as I can establish fraud. Yes merchant providers can do more to investigate claims on our behalf but ultimately if one credit card doesn't easily process fraud claims and demands more info, people will just move on.

As for the main issue... either this lady has a police report or she doesn't. This claim is much different from the normal "some random person took my information or credit card" claim in that she is asserting (in writing) that someone she specifically knew took her card. If no report exists to back this up, and she is unwilling to file one, you could have a good basis for a lawsuit, assuming you are willing to sue for that little money.
    I mostly agree, but in this case where the item was sent to HER billing address, it should not be the merchants problem-should be a matter for the police as it was a crime in her home (assuming she was telling the truth). Like I said, if I had sent to another address besides her home, I would just chalk it up as a mistake on my part.

BTW, I just looked at the records for the charges-first time she ordered from me (a charge she did not dispute) it was made at 8:38pm...the charge she says is fraud was made at 8:40pm...what house cleaners do you know clean at almost 9pm on a monday night in a residence?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if there's attorneys that specialize in this type of stuff (on the merchants side of things)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry for posting again in the same hour.. do a search on google for "chargeback fraud". There's some good information there.

http://www.google.com/search?q=charg...en-US:official

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild boar
    e-gold? Please explain.. never heard of it..
    e-gold.com , similar to paypal except that your balance is kept in gold instead of $$. They don't have chargebacks
    There is a thread or two on sitepoint about them

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're serious about this you could also file a police report with your local cops, they won't do anything likely but technically you were stolen from. Either the cleaning company stole your merchandise or this lady did.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always use signature confirmation for large orders. It only costs $1.30 and can possibly save you a costly chargeback. I automatically add signature confirmation to all orders over $100, let alone $348... this is just common sense. It sucks that this happened, but unless you are willing to spend several thousand dollars in attorney's fees you will probably have to chalk it up as an expensive lesson.
    5:4 Automated Traffic Exchange for Content Websites
    http://www.FunPageExchange.com/webmaster.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was sent to her billing address, the least she could do is return the item. Have you already asked her if she did actually receive it, no matter if she ordered it or not?