SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to pay or not to pay chose your keywords

I always read all the suggestion concerning sumiting to search engine and how to get higher ranking. Pay or not to pay. Well I
    have never paid a penny and yet I have nr.1 listing on several major engines. google for one, look smart, go to (I always
    thought you had to pay for listings there but I have never).
    And all the talk about keywords, why does everyone seem to want the ones that will NOT get high ranking due to too much
    competition! chose your keywords with care. Think like a surfer will and you will get better results.
    Which words can you chose then? Well why not try misspelling some words, Yes you heard me right misspell your major
    words! Many people surfing the web by accidentally misspell a word or two in their search.
    Tutorials is one of them. My word, you can us it as well, because link popularity counts for higher ranking as well. And there
    I'm covered, is sreensavers
    check it out you will see our site as nr.1
    Another engine that is worth using is http://www.ixquick.com/eng/
    there I am listed with 5 stars at the top, they also show your ranking on others search engines as well. The term to search for
    there is "free the best sreensavers" you will see our site.
    Just wanted to let you all in on one more tip to get your site seen!
    louisa
    Get seen on the web
    http://rinnan.net

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your GoTo and Looksmart rankings come from the Inktomi database. You don't need to spend moeny to get a ranking, but depending on the keyword, you link may never be seen. Some keyword phrases have no bids on them and the results are pure Inktomi results. So, if your page is optimized for Ink, then you are good to go. At least until someone starts bidding for your keyword phrases.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my point

That is my point I try to get across. You have to stay on top of your site and continuously search for new keywords and other
    methods of promoting your site.
    It is not something you can build, submit and then think the world is going to come to you. No way that works, you must
    maintain your site and work on it . It is a full time job keeping one step ahead. Try out banners, if they don't work, ditch them.
    Link exchange? Same here. Research sites, compare sites. It is a never ending battle.
    I have seen professional sites from major companies that simply can not be found on the net , and yet these company pay high
    prices to have the site designed.
    A simple example: I was searching for the site to find information about our city public transportation. I tried all kinds of
    "keywords" their name for one and still came up empty. You would expect them to come up on top using their own name?
    Think again! At last I found a link to the site on someone's personal page!
    Goes to show the guy next door did his homework, where as the "Professional" didn't bother to do a thing to get the site listed.
    My point is that if you put enough energy and time in promoting your site, you will get there, if not today then tomorrow.

louisa
    Get seen on the web
    http://rinnan.net

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've made a good point regarding misspelling keywords. One of my sites gets 20+ visitors a day simply because I included every combination of spelling (and typing) mistakes that I could think of. All I did was to include them in the META tag, Neither Alta Vista nor Google seem to mind them not being in the text of the page.
    Site Promotion and Marketing eBooks
    http://www.PromotionEbooks.com