SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frontend for SQL 2000 & Access

Please forgive my newbie questions. I've searched the archives for this info but fell I still need to ask the following questions.

I am experienced with PHP/MySQL programming and I use PHPMyAdmin as a database interface as well as shell commands while logged in to the server via SSH to create tables, grant permissions, etc on the MySQL database.

I am embarking on a quest to learn ASP and SQL 2000 & Access. My question is, how does one interact with these Windows databases? Is there a front end? I know a little about DSNs, but I am concerned more with a graphical type interface. I think I saw a post about a frontend called DB Tools or something of that nature.

Is access to these windows databases as easy as with MySQL on a Linux box?

Thanks,
    Bill
    signature

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fact, yes.

I'm not the best person to ask about Access because the only time I worked with it was for a school project (quite some time ago!). SQL Server has a tool called Enterprise Manager, which is easy to use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, in order to interact with Access or SQL Server using ASP, you should first buy a book on ASP. I would recommend Wrox's "Beginning Active Server Pages 3.0" It's an excellent resource to learn things from the ground up.

Once you learn ASP basics, it will be much easier to help you in the way of learning to program with databases.

You may not like the thought of learning the language right away, but trust me, it will save you loads of time in the long run and you'll be glad you did.

duckie answered your question about SQL Server. Enterprise Manager is what you want to use.

Access, however, is not the same as SQL Server. While SQL Server actually "serves" the database to the end use, Access creates a .mdb file that is written to and accessed. If you have the option to use SQL Server, don't even worry about using Access. SQL Server is light years ahead of Access.

But, if you want to view / modify an Access DB, you must download the file from the internet and Open it in Microsoft Access (which comes as part of the Microsoft Office 2000 package). From there you can edit everything to do with the database.

Hope this helps. If not, let us hear your questions, we'll be glad to help.

Also, don't be afraid to ask "newbie questions", because there's no such thing as a bad question. Unless it's "is PHP the best language?" in which case, everyone should know it's an emphatic no.

hehe, 'Till next time..
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks Goober and Duckie.

I have a book about beginners ASP called ASP For Dummies and I will also check out your suggestion. I have dabbled with ASP in the past so I am not completely new to it, though I have not ever used it to connect to databases.

I hope I have as much fun learing ASP as I have with PHP. I look forward to finding out
    signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, definitely check out Wrox's "Beginning Active Server pages" and "professional active server pages". I recommend diving right into the professional. It still teaches beginning concepts, but it covers more material past beginnign chapters.

hope this helps.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with goober on the pro book, he knows what im like with that, or should

everything that is in the biginner book is covered in the pro book but it has 2 advatages

1) It will teach you lot more and alot into what you really want to be doing
    2) You save time and mone from not buying hte beginner. Adn you wont be bugged when you get to the pro and think, damn, ive read this already!!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to you all.

It's a holiday here today, but I'm going to the book store to check out the books you recommended. It sounds like I should start with the more advanced book. That's how my mind works when learning a new programming language .... get straight to the point!

Regards,
    Bill
    signature

SitePoint Addict kevin_tremblay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SQl piece is easy, use enterprise manager or you can also load the SQL Query analyzer piece seperately and run that , you just need the log info from your admin or if you are the admin you are all set.

I also found a tool I downloaded that is called interactive SQL which is similar to the Query analyzer for SQL and it will allow access to SQL, MS Access and even to your MySQL databases. I will find the link I got it from and post it for you.

Kevin -- Digitalman
    Kevin Tremblay-- Sys Admin
    work: kevin_tremblay@hsgmed.com
    "The object of the journey is not to arrive."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info. I look forward to the link you mentioned.

Regards,
    Bill
    signature

SitePoint Addict kevin_tremblay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can not find the link I got the tool from but if you email me I can email the executable to you, rather small one so it should email fine.

Email me here at work Kevin_tremblay@hsgmed.com. I will be more than happy to send it your way.

Kevin -- Digitalman
    Kevin Tremblay-- Sys Admin
    work: kevin_tremblay@hsgmed.com
    "The object of the journey is not to arrive."