SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP Crossword Puzzle Script

Hey, I'm an excellent PHP programmer, but the logic of creating a crossword puzzle is quite confusing, I'm looking to be pointed in the right direction of a decent PHP Crossword Puzzle Script, If anyone could find one for me that'd be great, thanks in advance!

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

PHP script

Hi HaloprO, welcome to the forums.
    I do not know what you want PHP to do. Wouldn't a crossword just be a grid of squares and lists of clues? PHP is server-side, so you could have the script create the HTML, but is that what you want? Users could enter values into text fields but then what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not much of a PHP programmer but in Java I would start by making a 2 dimensional array. It's quite simple actually, now that I think about it. I don't really know if it would be that simple in PHP, though.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP is not the right solution for this kind of application, if you code it in PHP you will have to send the entire puzzle (form) back and forth all the time, unless the user sends only the final solution at the end and nothing in between.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

crossword puzzle

Quote Originally Posted by hextraordinary
    the right solution for this kind of application,
    Javascript could check the correctness of each square or field. It might be a bit tricky to code because of the overlapping. And "view source" would be equivalent to looking in the back of the book turned upside down (you could use unicode I suppose, that would be good enough to hide it from most)
    A PHP script that timed the user and calculated the number of correct answers (and blank and wrong ones) with 1 "complete" submit might be fun.
    I did a - crossword puzzle script - :doh: I tend to think in terms of web development. What I found were several sites that have scripts that put together the crossword puzzle for you using your words. In other words, I input the words as, at, to, so and the script puts together the HTML to show
    AT
    SO
    For "online" "crossword generators", I found a javascript site and a few compiled "crossword generator" sites. There are "try then buy" sites too.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where can i get script like this, i am looking to add in my community site.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to use Client side scripting language for this. javascript wil do. Ultimately, you can use flash. Have you checked around for some free flash puzzles you can add to your site?
    godaycare.com - Canadian daycare listings with reviews
    Parenting and Child care Forum - Canadian child care forum