SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a new biz and well.....

Ok people I'm sure this subject has been discussed over and over. I found some helpful stuff by searching but still want some more opinions.
    I started my web design/networking/web host company in Jan of this year. Biz has been really slow. I need a good way to market my business in the local area.
    Someone told me to do cold calling, anyone else try this. I dont know alot about online marketing and most of what is said on here confuses me viral marketing etc. Any help would be great.
    Cant get away from this computer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you've stated that biz has been slow for you, I have a suggestion that will require time but not a lot of $$.

I know of a gentleman in my area who started out to build a directory of all sites in the area. Granted, this was a somewhat rural area, so this may not work if you are in a more populated area.

At any rate, he intended to build a directory online and also a printed version. The idea was to sell ads in the printed version. But without even considering that part, you can be successful in your area by building the directory.

Start with all the sites you know or can find online. Buy the local newspaper and read the ads. Then go out and pound the pavement to get information that you haven't found online. As you contact people, your focus should be just to obtain their URL. I think if you try to sell your services you'll be disappointed, but if you are just going to obtain information, people will be more willing to talk to you. Of course, you are going to run into a lot of businesses that don't have a web site, and bingo you can start building a separate directory for yourself - those that will be in need of your services. If the person you are contacting is interested at that time, make an appointment to come back. That way you'll have time to do some homework/research and prepare a presentation just for that person.

If you want the business, you'll have to go out and find it. Make sure you take along plenty of business cards - dress professional - and I think before you know it you'll be doing more business than you thought possible. And all it cost you was a little time and gas money. Oh and the cost of the domain and a little server space for the online directory.

Hope this helps.
    Nancy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two asides about your site:

First, the font size you chose for white type on a gray navigation bar means I can't read it unless I get twice as close to the screen (21" monitor) - consider revamping it.

Second, there is no emotional connection unless and until a visitor sees a human face and human eyes; your cartoon-adapted profile head doesn't count.
    _____/\/\arty \/\/inston

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

??

Can you please explain in more depth what you are talking about my site. Alot of people says it has a nice professional look. You seem to think different. Explain!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

navigation

I agree that your navigation bar with the white serif face type on the gray background is hard to read. Switching to a bold sans serif font would fix it. Otherwise your homepage IS very nice.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    true I'll be fixing it this Monday on my day off. lol. Thanks for the help people.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a reminder that if you want to critique/review someone's website, check out the Website Reviews forum

fusioncom, A good practice I've done in the past is to create small advertising items, like flyers/brochures, or business cards and put them up in public places. If your town is fairly small or medium sized, I'll bet your local grocery store, car mechanic, or any other business will have a little bulletin board for business cards to be tacked onto. I've received some good referrals from people who saw my card/brochure this way. Plus it gets word out to the public who may be interested
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!