SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Can Open Source scripts compete against Commercial Community scripts?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely. Just as good, if not better!

12 54.55%
  • You can compete, but it is much work.

6 27.27%
  • No, I'm afraid not.

4 18.18%
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile What scripts would you use?

Hi: first time here, so I hope I am posting in the correct forum

I've started a small hosting company, and want to target the members of the local Chamber of Commerce here in SE Michigan. I would like to create a community site for their members. They do already have a site, but it is not community oriented. It is mostly used for recruiting new members. I'm thinking members should have a site too. A place to get community news, post their personal bookmarks and have a board much like this one. Event planning would be great too. I like the set up at www.franklinplanner.com very much (for a calendar)

Does anyone here have such experiance? Have you deployed, or help deploy such a community? I've seen much opensource scripts, but have not set one up yet.

What scripts have you used? Are there any you would stay away from? Why?

Thank you.
    Now where did I bury that bone....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really like any of the choices - I would have to go with "it depends". The drive of the team creating the project, the amount of public response, the difference from other projects of it's type (and also the similarities) all factor into whether a project will succeed. I don't think there is a clean line between OSS and commercial that one side will always succeed and one side will always fail.

All that said, I would go with vBulletin.
    Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, I like vBulletin, but given my empty pockets, I decided to go with phpBB. I got it up and running with no problems, and it looks like phpBB 2.0 is going to be really nice.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they definitely can. If a lot of people get into the open source project and make it that much better, sure it can be better.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of features, possibly. But in terms of support, backing and future development, I don't think so.

I'm with Kevin (tubedogg) on this one.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a complete package, VBulletin is better in my opinion. phpBB is a great forum to use when you want no pricetag and still a good reliable forum. The large availability of hacks and additional scripts attracts many people that don't want to pay a lot of money for bulletin board software.

But is money was no issue, I would go for VBulletin as well. Being market leader, an innovative company and basically the example for all the other boards, they still hold a strong position, together with the fact that their support is great as well (at least, so I've heard). My vote is for the "you can comete, but it won't be easy"-one.

SitePoint Enthusiast AppleCider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've installed Ikonboard on several of my clients' sites, and it works very well.

However, for a large professional site, I'd go with vbulletin.
    You might as well fall flat on your
    face as bend too far over
    backwards.