Thread: Apache 2?

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apache 2?

Is anybody here running Rails on Apache 2 with Fast_Cgi or SCGI? I'd like to install Ruby and Rails on my server, but it's running Apache 2 - seems like most people go with 1.3 for Rails apps.

Please post your experiences - and thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello:

I was able to get it to work but have to admit that it was a bit of a struggle. I started by trying out the HowTos on the rubyonrails site, in particular, I used RailsOnWindows for my setup. However, it still did not want to work so I went to this site by means of a recommendation from a rubyonrails forum member. From there I installed this (the only thing I did from that site) and now everything seems to work. If you want to view my initial frustrations and some of the help I was provided here is the original forum discussion.

Hope you find your answers somewhere in there.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scgi is a sinch. But note that apache is merely a forwarder in this relationship. Whereas fast_cgi is a module built into apache, so apache is actually doing the work.

That being said, I've done both.
    Studio Rockstar's Blog - A journey to quitting the dayjob.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got really close to cracking it by following several tutorials, and got the ruby welcome page up and running and did a sample page, but mysql just doesn't work. It keeps saying the connection fails.

Am I meant to run:

Code:
    gem install mysql
    at my command prompt? (Using Windows + Apache2 + MySQL4.X)

I'm actually quite frustrated because I'm finding RoR pretty infuriating to install cleanly on a WAMP machine; its either one thing or another.

There is instantRails; which looks good - except I've already got Mysql and Apache running and use both of them for my PHP development stuff.

To be honest, all this figuring out how to get started, cleanly, on a Windows OS is really tough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still no joy -- mysql keeps timing out, its defintley installed correctly and my php scripts can connect to it; how do I make rails work with mysql on a windows platform? I'm stumped!