SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C'mon. Tell me - How do you find your answers so quick?

Ok, I have been posting replies on this forum for just a few months, I often find myself replying to the same type of question over and again. (Pagination, regex help, database schemas etc)

My question to you is this...

If you are a regular "helper" on this forum how do you organise all your regular, repeating answers?

Is there one site you often go to (apart from Google!)?

Have you really bookmarked solutions you came across on the internet when you think "that'll come in handy when I am next at the Sitemorse forums? I'll add that to my favourites..."

Do you keep them in a text file on your desktop? Or do you really search this forum for your old answers every time?

C'mon, how do you get your answers out so fast? Don't say its ALL in your head..

Oh, and merry christmas to you all.
    Last edited by paulyG; Dec 22, 2005 at 06:50. Reason: replies, I've been posting replies, anwers suggests I was correct....

Sell crazy someplace else markl999's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the problem, but if it's a largish chunk of code that's not working i'll copy and paste it into my test.php file, set error_reporting to E_ALL, add in any missing mysql_error() statements if required and run it locally. 90% of the time the error/warning/problem is displayed, if not another minute adding some debug echo statements usually takes care of a further 7%. The remaining 3% is usually down to a mis-communication of the problem or "something we're not being told"
    All in all it only takes a few minutes for those problems where an immediate solution isn't obvious. For the non-code chunk problems i've no doubt had the same problem myself at some point so know the answer, if not either someone else will have had it before, so it's off to Google, or failing that fire up test.php again for some testing. That's my method most of the time anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I answer, most of the questions arise from people not paying a visit to PHP.net as often as they should.

Some are simple typos which you become blind to .. which happens to the best of us as well as the rest of us.

Others are code logic problems, which are more organizational issues than anything else.

Then you get the obligatory: "Hi! I've no idea what I'm doing, but I know what I want. Can someone just do it for me?", which are always fun!

I personally enjoy helping people because I like solving problems...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes
    When I answer, most of the questions arise from people not paying a visit to PHP.net as often as they should.

Some are simple typos which you become blind to .. which happens to the best of us as well as the rest of us.

Others are code logic problems, which are more organizational issues than anything else.

Then you get the obligatory: "Hi! I've no idea what I'm doing, but I know what I want. Can someone just do it for me?", which are always fun!

I personally enjoy helping people because I like solving problems...
    I couldn't agree any more! I wouldn't say I'm an expert too, but I do often spend some hours on PHP.net to read the manual and see what is says.

And concerning the answer of the TS, I too find myself responding to the questions I know a simple answer to. This comes from hands on experience with a problem I've encountered, so I gues I would say experience is the key

BTW typos are the demon spawn from hell
    Let's make life easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleNL
    I couldn't agree any more! I wouldn't say I'm an expert BTW typos are the demon spawn from hell
    You're tellnig me!

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Memory mostly.
    I sat down for 10 days straight with no sleep and memorised the php manual. I have it now commited to the dark recesses of my mind where it lurks waiting to be utilised for a simple typo.....

And if you believe that, here's another fairy tale involving 3 bear and some porridge....

actually it's more about repetition and answering the same question 30 times and having the code from the previous answers handy in a folder.

Spike

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ
    actually it's more about repetition and answering the same question 30 times and having the code from the previous answers handy in a folder.
    Spike
    @spike
    Thats what I suspected! Thats what I am REALLY tempted to do, if you do - is it "previously given answers"? And what do you keep in there? Like, regex.php with all the regex cheats you ever had?

@mikel999
    I really had to smile there Mike - because I have a single file http: / / localhost / test.php which is just getting longer, and longer and longer as I paste broken snippets in, and try and fix them - then comment them out again to paste in the next one. (Good idea with the error_reporting, must do that too).