User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PayPal Alternatives

Hi,
    I've had some pretty major issues with PayPal recently (My account was frozen for no reason, other than high activity - which is hard to avoid when you're selling a large site). So I am very wary of using them for anything now. The hundreds of frozen account horror stories don't exactly help their case either (www.PayPalsucks.com and www.PayPalwarning.com).

Does anyone have any experience with any alternatives to PayPal - in particular ones that offer Real Merchant Accounts/some sort of customer protection? I don't want to get locked out of thousands of dollars again .

Thanks,
    gex6

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you process more then ~$1,000 a true merchant account may be what you're looking for. They never hold funds unless you've really given them a great reason to do so and you can typically process as much as you want.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm thinking of a true merchant account. Free-merchant.com was recommended by PayPalsucks.com. Does anyone have any experience with moneybookers - it seems to be a somewhat popular PayPal alternative.

Thanks,
    gex6

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Free-merchant.com uses Card Service International. Just ask them what their cancellation fee is and you won't need to ask any more questions.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use CardService myself. True, they have a cancellation fee within the first year but since I anticipated being in business for many years I did not have a problem with that. A lot of places have a termination fee for different programs / services.

I have been with them for a little over a year now I believe and have been very happy with the services and support.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use PayPal for years and am quite happy with them. The websites you refer to were started years back when PayPal really had some serious drawbacks. Since that time PayPal services improved greatly.

All you need to do in your situation (if your account was in fact frozen for nothing) is to resolve the issue by communicating with their customer service.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using PayPal for awhile, and I find the service to be reliable and easy to use. I have also heard the death stories, but I've never met a person that actually had them done to them.

The only issue that I have with PayPal is that they don't accept Romanian customers at all.