SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: What to sell?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to sell?

A friend of mine lives in Israel - he is very interested in opening an online shop but he wants to sell products abroad - what kind of products would be easier for him to import and export?

Thanks.
    Tutorials Search Engine: FindTutorials

SitePoint Enthusiast BeauCreative's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a very broad question as there are millions (if not tens or hundreds of millions) of products that he could 'potentially' sell.

I guess the ease of importing/exporting would be tied to the shipping costs and legalities. Therefore, digital products would be the easiest as there would be no importing/exporting necessary. Small (low shipping cost) products would be the next best choice. He would also [most likely] have to check with Israel and US customs to make sure importing/exporting the product is allowed.

If he plans on selling to consumers, the international shipping will probably make his prices uncompetitive. He might be better off finding a dropshipping located in the location he intends to sell to. If that is not possible, he should probably buy local items to avoid paying international shipping twice.
    BeauCreative Web Development
    FotoFight Photography Contests
    Engolfed - Link Exchange? Write for us? PM Me.
    datingUpdate | BiographyCollection - Link Exchange? PM Me.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend to him to get into something he knows about. There are thousands of online stores, and it's becoming increasingly difficult for even the big guys to compete. Going into a market with no knowledge of how it works, or its products, is suicide.

I did it once - started an online shoe store having no knowledge of shoes other than what size I wore. That lack of knowledge almost cost me a business and a lot of money (more than once).

So pick something you're good at - or something you know a lot about. A good friend of mine just started a bee keeping supplies website because he's a part-time beekeeper and has learned a lot about it. He knows the lingo, where people shop, what they buy, what's a good price, etc. Without that inside knowledge he'd have a hard time making it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try to where your market is ,then take action

none of us here could give you essential assistance on this issue. But we can offer you guidlines on business: experience is very important to start an online business. Another imporant issue is to find your market and your customer:business is a kind of intelligence game, use your head then you will win.