SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google Submission Tip

Google apparently gives higher initial rankings to pages it finds on its own, versus pages that are submitted directly to google.com.
    I recently launched a new site, and setup links to the site from some other sites I run.
    I think what got me crawled though, was I went to google and entered the domain to see if it was listed. It wasn't, but on the next screen, google had prepared a link to the url I had typed, and suggested I click it. I clicked the link, and my site got crawled two days later.
    I don't know if that got me crawled, or one of the external links, nor do I know if I inadvetantly earned google's - i found this link myself - bonus.
    Anyone have any thoughts?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm no.

First of all where did you hear Google gives a "bonus" to pages it finds on it's own? I think you have it confused with inktomi.

Secondly if you search for a url google always gives you a link to visit it if they cannot find it. It has nothing to do with when or how your site will get spidered.

Additionally Google only spiders a week or a week and a half out of every month. Usually at the beginning of the month but this time they started around the end of last week.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard both google and inktomi give a slight bonus, but I don't have any proof.
    I agree with you, I don't think I got any bonus from clicking through on the suggested link.

But, I'm not so sure google only spiders once a month. I have a couple of sites that get spidered almost every week by Google, but they do seem to do a deep crawl only once a month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you've got 1.5 billion pages to crawl you can't afford to do it any faster than once a month. Although this last time it was only a 3 week gap. In interviews Googlers have said that one of their goals is to get to a point where new content is spidered hours after it is put online... how they plan to do that is beyond me however.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read, and seen log stats that prove that Google does spider more than once a month. The catch is you have to qualify as what they consider to be an important site that updates frequently. The spider eventually "learns" to add you to a list of "sites to visit more often".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gang,

The Google spider is running all the time, but they do crawl web sites that seem to "update" more frequently than other web sites. For example, if your web site updates once every six months, expect Googlebot to come around less frequently. I you have a web site that updates frequently, expect Googlebot to come around more often.

Another part of the eqasion is your "Page Rank" which you can check if you happen to use the Google Toolbar. If Google considers your page to be more important, again, expect the bot to come around more often.

The most dramatic example of Google crawling frequently s with CNN. Now, perhaps CNN was individually selected by Google, but I believe I read recently where Google claims to be spidering that site every day.

Google is also about to launch their own pay-to-play program; similar to Inktomi and AltaVista. I don't think there are any details out on that yet but I am sure it will offer enhanced crawling of your site.

The question that remains is if these crawls will result in your pages showing up quicker in the index.
    Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh gosh...

Just relized that I did not even chat about nangrom's question or suggestion.

LOL

The concept of letting a spider find your pages by itself and thereby getting a higher ranking has been around for eons. But I gotta tell you the truth (IMHO). As the engine algo's get smarter and smarter it is almost impossible to confirm such a thing.

It can't "ever" hurt to let the spider find you on it's own. If there is a boost to that you'll get credit for it. But there are so many other and more important factors going into your ranking it is just going to be difficult to pin that one down.
    Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google is spidering my literature site again now. About a week and a half that time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's googlebot stats from Jun - Sep for a site I've been working on :

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google is spidering my site more than ever now. A lot of my site's traffic is not from crawlx.googlebot.com!

Perhaps google has me on a list of 'frequently updated' sites.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My site is updated arround 10 times daily.

That's probably why Google is visiting my site four times per day.
    Soccer Directory | Travel Directory
    (free - reciprocal will give you featured status)