SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Analyze these numbers for me?

Ok, I really don't know much about advertising rates and CTR's, and CPC blah blah, but using fastclick, here is the numbers a site of mine came up with from Aug 1 until right now, 20,735 total impressions (using pop unders and 486X60) I got 33 clicks for a CTR of .16% and a grand total Earnings of $10.51. could I do better with a different company (like Burst!)?

It's a music fan site that I don't really plan on making money from, I just want it to pay for itself as much as possible, the site has literally doubled traffic every month for the last three months (5,000 june, 10,000 in july and 20,000 so far this month).

Basically I'm clueless as to whether or not I'm doing all right, or if I could be doing better, or whatever.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The numbers don't really mean anything without all the data...

How much are you supposed to be paid for each click? Is it a CPM based payment and how much per CPM?

What about non-targetted and unqualified ads? Most networks don't pay for these.

Many people would be happy with $10.51 on 20K views, That is about $.50 CPM which is good for a network like Fastclick right now.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to fastclick I am getting an 'effective' cpm of $0.17 on 486X60 and $2.24 on pop unders.

That's just it. I don't know anything about this stuff. I just signed up, plugged in the script, and let it go. I am using the auto-slect campaign, and know nothing about 'non-targetted and unqualified ads'. how do I know what these are and if they are being used?

I'm just started to get interested in all of this as my traffic increases and it actually matters to me. And like I said making money would be nice, but I really only care if it pays for itself, and as my traffic increases so will my hosting costs (for bandwidth overages and larger accounts and the such) it's not a lot of traffic but it's a bandwidth hog with realaudio and video and stuff.

Anyway, If I'm not making any sense or if it's pointless to discuss just tell me to shut up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Analyze these numbers for me?

Originally posted by Brian Asselin
    could I do better with a different company (like Burst!)?
    I think so... I use BURST! and Fastclick for pop-unders (and previously for defaults). I tend to think BURST! offers more campaigns and more higher quality campaigns. Fastclick is a level below BURST!, as you can get specific advertisers advertise on your site with BURST!. Fastclick offers too many CPC campaigns and low-priced, low-quality CPM ads.

Moral of story? Try to get in with BURST! and still use Fastclick for defaults.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In simple terms, if an ad company does not have a paying banner to display, they display a default banner. Default banners do not pay any money to the publisher. Fastclick will allow you to insert your own paying banner in place of their default banner on your fastclick maintenance page.