SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marketing for everyone poor! A general reference!

As many of you know, about a year ago, I went off to try and perfect internet marketing. I wanted to know what made a website run and what made a website fail. I wanted to know the ins and outs of the industry and if the search engine was the final cure-all for a failing website. I hope that the following will give a lot of insight into traffic growth to new sites and a little to established ones. Here are my findings:

Search engines, while they account for a large majority of website traffic, aren't the best and easiest way to build traffic. The main reason is because only those sites that either have a lot of sites linking to them, are just popular in general, or are the only site in their content area get placed prominently in the majority of search engines. Due to this fact, search engines are an unreliable source of traffic unless you are a larger site. So, what do you do?

Well, I have found that the most effective form of promotion is partnerships by a long shot. I have found that even putting through millions of banner impressions can't compare to partnerships with a few strategic sites. Unfortunately, partnerships have been looked down upon, because most people look at partnerships as a simple link swap, which sends a few clicks here and there, but it's never all that worthwhile. I'm not talking about those types of partnerships, I'm talking about co-branding. If you offer another site something that will truly benefit them. For example, I offered up 100% inventory on one of my side bars on my site searchgecko.com. The partner decided to jump on it, because I told them they could use it for whatever they wanted, including advertising. Because I make my money off of searches and clicks, that space was more benefit to me by getting more users to my site. You have to be able to know what to give up and what to take. They gave me good linkage throughout their site. You could even do things like content exchanges for traffic as well. For example, you have a lyrics site and another site has music, you could give them lyrics for the music that they cover, in exchange for prominent linkage. They would send your site traffic, while they would gain content. I don't recommend such an exchange, unless they are covering only rap music for example and you cover all forms of music. Also, never give up more than you can afford to lose.

Pay per click search engines, are probably the best form of advertising for a site. Don't blow dollars on unknowns with the standard cpm model, go for cpc. I'm not saying that just becuase I have a pay per click, but because you can get clicks for as little as a penny. That's extremely worthwhile if you put it into perspective. 100 clicks for $1. You can't get 100 of anything for $1 anymore. So, that's a definite deal. However, it's up to you whether you keep those 100 clicks. Return visitors are heavily dependent upon the quality and what I call, the "can I geta" factor. This factor is the whole idea that users can get what they find at your site elsewhere. What differentiates your site? That's your brand, without a brand, you are a one time click, unless a user is for some reason intrigued by your site or something. Design means nothing if you don't have something to back it up. Content is still as always, everything. You could be the most technologically advanced, beautiful looking site in the world, but that means nothing more than peanut butter on a stick to a web user if you don't have what they want. Bigger is better in the internet world. Take Wal-Mart, Meijer, K-Mart, Target for example. Pepole want the one-stop shopping experience, same is true for a website. If you have a lyrics site, you are missing the big picture, you should have profiles, discography, online shopping, pictures, forums, and then you'll have covered most everything the user wants. That's what will retain your visitors.

Money doesn't mean a damn thing on the internet. You don't have to buy traffic. I am living proof to that. I market myself to better traffic and I do it quite well, just ask those that have worked with me. I know what I'm doing and I have determination to do it. I have several people that are looking at search gecko wondering what I just did to make a site go from 5 searches a day to a full blown search site in a week. I'm never going to release all of the tricks, but I am posting this to help others.

the biggest thing to do is to never think of search engines when doing your marketing. Never even consider them, because when you first start a site, you aren't going to be listed in them so if you try to hard doing that you are wasting valuable time that you could be spending developing strategic marketing plans. That's how I succeed in a short period of time. Search Engines will come with your traffic. Why aren't you getting traffic to your site? It's because you don't have the business know how to get traffic to your site.

If you can't negotiate, then your site is never going to be a big site unless it's so amazing and you get lucky. Luck is good on the internet, but it's hard to get lucky with so many sites on the internet. You have to be smart, strategic, and you have to be able to negotiate and be professional more and more these days. If you can't negotiate, you better find someone that can. I have no programming abilities, well, I do, I'm just not patient enough or good enough to develop a fully functional site, so I specialize in marketing. Without my ability my partners would have an amazing site without an outlet. You have to decide if you are good enough to speak to the big sites and pull off partnerships or if you are going to be the one programming and developing and bring in a partner that can pull in the results.

And, you have to remember that everything can be a potential source of traffic, including this posting that I'm making right now. Because of it's completeness, it will be circulated enough that I'm guessing I'll get at least 50-100 clicks. I get somewhere around that for all postings that I make. You have to remember that every thing that you do on the internet is a potential for traffic and every visitor has to be seen as your most important visitor, because that one visitor is all it takes to get a strategic parntership. For example, if I visit your site, I am more than likely going to offer one to you if your site is good enough. I'll then make it more than worth your while to partner up with me. So, remember that each person should be treated as if they are your only visitor, no matter how many visitors you have to your site.

Also, you are never too big for partnerships. The sites that reach 1 million page views a month seem to think that they are done with partnerships and that since they don't sell their ad inventory as it is, they shouldn't bother growing any further. The more people you have at your site, the more likely you'll have a potential advertiser visit your site, and the more likely it will be that you land an advertiser. That's how large traffic benefits you. So, you are never too large for traffic.

I want everyone to understand that I'm not saying to not aim for search engines. I know I'm going to get a ton of emails saying that I'm wrong about search engines. I know people do get a lot of traffic from them, but if you aim for them you are going to be disappointed more than likely, because everyone is aiming for them. It's a lot easier to get listed after you have sites linking to you, and you have link popularity, than to try to get listed as a new site. These are just my personal findings so far and I'm always working on finding out new things. If you have any personal findings yourself, please post them here. I know that my results may contradict what works with your own site, but these are just what I said, my own personal findings and aren't going to encompass all sites, however, they will work on all sites to some degree.

Please let me know what you guys have found and what services you have tired. I want to make this a good posting to getting people started and hopefully a one stop posting to help raise the bar of internet marketing.

Also, if you are interested in a partnership with me, please feel free to contact me. I am also interested in new partnerships as well as I'm interested in working on marketing sites for others as long as I feel that they have potential and as long as I have time to permit. I hope this helps at least someone.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This post looks vageuly familiar, have you psoted this elswhere beforehand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually about a year ago, I posted something of the sort, but it wasn't complete. I had missed some major things. I thought that search engines were a little more important and I stressed the possibilities with search engines, however, I didn't stop to think that those practices only applied to sites with link popularity and my site had about 600 or so sites linking to it. It was new, but having that many links to your site, will boost your site substantially in search engines. So, I revisited my previous thoughts and tried to figure out what makes a site traffic heavy from the beginning and what can get a site started. After that I came up with this. I have a whole lot of insight, in fact I wrote it all down on my computer with a bunch of notes as to what works, what doesn't, and implementation of everything from communities to prizes to mailing lists. I've studied a lot of stuff trying to come up with a recipe for success on the internet, which I have found is impossible to replicate with every site, however, for the most part, there are a lot of generalisms that create a common bond between the most popular of websites.

I could have just said, yes I posted something like this and revised it....