User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

freelancer needs CMS for small/medium sized clients

Hello
    I’m looking for a CMS. Preferably Open source, PHP/MySql based,.
    that plays nicely with my XHTML/CSS/Table-Less standards based designs.

I’m also a college student.. soo…preferably cheap or free!!!!

Needs:
    - Set permissions, and levels of permissions for the client and thier staff
    - Stylable admin panel
    - A “restrictive” wysiwyg GUI for the clients (I need to be able to set restrictions on WHAT they can do with the WYSIWYG)

- Add/change/delete content
    - Blogs
    - Forums
    - Template based
    - CSS/XHTML/Table-less/Valid Standards compliant
    - Web based
    - Multiple languages
    - forms that import info into the database
    - short URLS

ECommerce needs:
    - Shopping cart
    - Paid monthly subscriptions
    - Rotating banner ads

CMS support:
    - hoping for an ACTIVE development and user forum community.. I’m probably gonna be asking a lot of questions..

my php skills are still in their infancy, but I’ve taken some time off this quarter to get this CMS up and running.. so I’ve got till around april!! A CMS with an easy learning curve would be preferred, but I’m ready to invest the time if the learning curve is difficult.

ooooh. one more thing, playing nicely with my Valid XHTML/CSS codes is a MUST.

I’d like the CMS to be something that clients can use via the web to take care of the day to day admin of their sites, kinda like the one they have at: http://www.modelvolume.com/ (see the “Tour” – as it shows the CMS included with their websites)
    So.. something like that, just with eCommerce capabilities.

THANKS!!!

Maniacally depressed robot poncho's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would pay a trip to Open Source CMS if I were you. There are a number of systems that offer some of what you are looking for, but I would say it will be difficult finding a "one-stop-shop" for free or small fee.

I have used Mambo (now Joomla) in the past, and while powerful and extensive, it is not too flexible.

eZPublish is great and offers a lot of what you are looking for, but it is a BIGGY! You need to know your stuff to master this one.

Cheers;
    Poncho
    Perfecting the art of breaking stuff.
    Check 'em: CakePHP | TextMate

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the replies...

thanks for the replies.. and for anybody interested, i chose drupal ( www.drupal.org )

i've certainly heard good things about joomla/mambo..
    acutally, i understand its quite a bit easier to get up and running than drupal...
    its also my understanding that drupal "can be" a more powerfull.. but i dont actually know one way or the other. i understand BOTH have rather large and excited user bases.. i just suppose it depends on "what" one is trying to do with any given project.. and i've heard enough good things about both, that i suppose you cant go "too" wrong with either!

thanks again for ALL your replies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sound more interested in ecommerce that anything else. So I would recommend CRELoaded which is a oscommerce spin off. If you need a seperate front end then use CPG Dragonfly with it.

I also recommend Joomla or Mambo for ecommerce. Their ecommerce components are poroven and full featured.

Drupal is a nice CMS for those that like to do PHP and customize. But Drupals ecommerce package is not working now and was iffy before that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poncho
    eZPublish is great and offers a lot of what you are looking for, but it is a BIGGY! You need to know your stuff to master this one.
    Interesting little CMS Thanks for the link..
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    Your dream can come true - if you have the courage to pursue it!