SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fastclick maximizing CTR

whats the best way to get a better CTR with fastclick network .

my CTR right now is .92% =(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .92% is pretty good in todays world.

The only thing I can recomend is maybe make it so the banner is in more of a prominent position to be seen.

You can also just use the the no script part of the code and you could then repeat the banners at the bottom of the page, This will not count as two impressions if you make sure each image call url is the same.
    Last edited by jkcity; Aug 31, 2001 at 10:05.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .92% is VERY good in today's world. I would be happy to get %.50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...That is a very good CTR for todays world, if you'd like to increase it, then only select the banners that would apply to your audience and maybe the CTR will be slightly higher.

I haven't optimized my CTR at the moment, and I'm doing about 1.60% on average, although I've only been with Fastclick for a few days.

-Peter

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easiest way to optimize FastClick's CTR? Select only the NavTrav campaign -- it gets 1-3% CTR.

But seriously, there are only a few ways you can increase CTR with any advertising network:

1) Only select the CPC campaigns that are ultra-targetted to your site. I don't care what anyone says, if you are running anything but a financial site devoted to credit cards (or something similar) you're not going to get a legitimate high CTR on a NextCard banner.

1.5) Select only CPM campaigns. These are usually designed to get maximum CTR.

2) Decrease the number of ads you show. Maybe only put a banner on your front page. That will dramatically reduce your revenue though.

3) Site design. There are legitimate tricks and not-so-legitimate tricks. Legitimate tricks would include getting your banner maximum exposure to each viewer. This could include framing the banner so it's always visible, etc. Not-so-legitimate tricks could include putting other clickable things very close to the banner to increase erroneous clicks.

4) State that the banner will open in a new window. Many people don't click on banners because they don't want to leave your site. So open the ad in a new window and tell them that's what you're doing.

5) Beg for clicks with a message under your banner. Most networks prohibit this, but a lot of sites continue to do it (I see a lot of "support this site by clicking on a banner a day" messages). Until the networks start cracking down, you're at a disadvantage if you don't do it because the networks reward sites with high CTR with more CPM ads.

6) Use the ad network most obsessed with CTR as the first network in the chain. I've seen many problems with clicks that get passed through to the secondary and higher networks -- sometimes the clicks don't work, sometimes the banner doesn't actually show, etc.

7) Disable cache-busting. Yes, you read that right. That way a single banner will get counted only once even though a visitor may see it 10 times (because it was pulled from cache). And if they click on it, then you have a 100% CTR. That flies in the face of what people used to tell us, but everything has changed now and CTR counts much more than pageviews.

I'm open to other suggestions -- like I always say, I'm not actively trying to have a site that has low CTR on banners...but my site has one of the lowest CTR's around, according to one of my networks.

Ralph

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone else experiencing really slow loading fastclick banners as of 5 pm eastern standard time August 31?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont get much impressions i been with them for like a week and i served like 3500 defaults and like 1800 ads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by eficrx
    i dont get much impressions i been with them for like a week and i served like 3500 defaults and like 1800 ads
    Who you using for the defaults.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    umm just a targeted banner exchange because i dont get to many impressions or hits right now still building

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what do you suggest for a fastclick default banner?

keeping in mind that other ad-networks ad code is not actually displayed on the page!( i mean that if you went to View-> Source the other adnetwork's code would not be on that page)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Paul_M
    what do you suggest for a fastclick default banner?
    I recommend Valueclick or CJ.com.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for bringing up this old thread, but as far as I know, cj doesn't count clicks originating from any other domain than the one you're listed under - therefore when served as defaults from fastclick's adserver, it'd look like the clicks were coming from fastclick's server and not your own. CJ wouldn't count that.

Am I right?
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff