Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is an Image a Node in Safari?

This code:

Code:
    var img = new Image();
    img.src = 'path/logo.png';
    alert(img.nodeName + ', ' + img.nodeType);
    Produces and alert with "IMG, 1" except in Safari, where I get "undefined, undefined". Subsequent use of this object in an appendChild halts the script in Safari (not altogether unexpected at this point.)

Any thoughts? My goal is to add an image element to a div.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe you should use
    Code:
    var img = document.createElement("img");
    img.setAttribute("src", "pat/logo.oong");
    instead...
    Corinis OpenSource Community & Content Management
    http://www.corinis.org

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - that looks hopeful. It doesn't break PC browsers. Unfortunately I won't have access to a Mac until I go into the office on Friday. I'll report my results then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not even sure why "img = new Image();" would create a DOM node in any browser... that should be an Image Object not an Image DOM Node.

NikoB's suggestion should work fine in Safari. There are a few weird bugs in safari JS, but as long as you follow JS standards, you should not have that many issues in Safari 1.3+... it's when you start doing stuff that doesn't follow the Javascript spec that you run into tons of issues

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamscape
    I'm not even sure why "img = new Image();" would create a DOM node in any browser... that should be an Image Object not an Image DOM Node.

NikoB's suggestion should work fine in Safari. There are a few weird bugs in safari JS, but as long as you follow JS standards, you should not have that many issues in Safari 1.3+... it's when you start doing stuff that doesn't follow the Javascript spec that you run into tons of issues
    Yeah, I know just enough to get into trouble.

This does work in Safari, I just checked.

However, in my own defense, O'Reilly's JavaScript Pocket Reference clearly says that Image inherits from Element. If the book is right, then I'm thinking Safari's behavior is incorrect.

But I can see that createElement is the proper way to do it, and I should have thought of it since earlier in the code I had used the method to create several divs.