SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to promote hosting service? tips please

I am interested to know some tips for promotion of web hosting service? Particularly for online promotion or marketing. Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks.

JohnR
    http://DomainManual.com
    JohnR
    Http://DomainManual.com

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Promoting hosting services can be tricky given the market for it is already pretty saturated.

However, i've found a few things out which may help you.

Targetted Advertising

If your target market is the more savvy and experienced market advertising on a site like SitePoint is a great way to go. Afterall who better to want sites hosting than fellow web-designers? Target your advertising well and you should get a good return. As I mention below, it is a good idea to develop a USP (Unique Selling Point) that makes your hosting stand out from all the rest and include that in your advertising. Don't forget your SitePoint signature too

Testimonials

I've found that using client testimonials in your marketing copy works wonders for selling hosting services. People (especially web-savvy ones) have seen all this promotional hype and long lists of features before. What they want to know is that your hosting delivers the features they need and has great customer services. Client testimonials are an idea way of showing this to be the case.

Customer Service

This can be next. I personally think that it's customer service that makes a host stand out. Everyone and his mother can offer hosting with umpteen MB of space, bandwidth coming out of their ears and support for every scripting language and database system under the sun. How many hosts though can say that they actually care about their customers and go out of their way to help them out? It's customer service and word of mouth that sells and you should make a point of telling people how wonderful your customer service is in your promotional materials.

I hope those ideas help, i'm sure our members can provide you with a lot more.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, signitures are handy, though if I'm asking a stupid question I might not want people to know who I am !

Personally most my customers come from referals I prefer it that way. Those who don't may have a less than desireable intent!

Yes, customer service is very important. But ideally they should not notice any problems Thats not to say there won't be any, server are just computers afterall but if you get a decent server from a decent company then you minimises the chances.
    Last edited by MPK; Sep 3, 2001 at 05:30.
    Please take a minute to do The Ecommerce Survey
    You get a free information security report as a thank you!
    [ More info on report | The Ecommerce Survey ]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, you might consider setting up an affiliate program.

There are few webhosts (compared to the others, anyway) that both pays residual and two-tier commissions. By having both these features (and by paying a fair commission, of course) I think you'd be able to spread the word relatively quickly by contacting the top affiliate programs directories, etc.

I know that's what I would do if I started a web hosting service :-)

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clients satisfaction will encourage recommendation

Top notch technical support. I do not mean simply by sending an automatic responder to an enquiry but offering solutions to solve a problem instantly.

It's also by offering full and straightforward online manual. For instance, its not sufficient to put a cgi directory on a file management system but to offer easy to understand information on setting file permissions for both pc and mac users.

Accurate and uptodate FAQ section

A minor problem such as domain name renewal that takes ages to sort out will not encourage the same person to think of undertaking another domain name registration with the same company.

Offer real client satisfaction and you will see how one satisfied client will recommend your service.
    fash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to get started, there are a lot of web hosting listing services out there, and most list for free. I used to run a web hosting business, and these indexes would provide about 50 visitors a week for virtually nothing. But, this is really only effective if you have a cheap plan and a lot of features. when ppl look at these indexes, they don't see good customer support, they see the prices.