SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switch from php to RoR?

I've only been using php for 2 months (before that I had never done scripting/coding before) but from what I've read today about RoR, I should just stop using php and swtich to php. Would this be a wise choice? As a novice to programming, would I find RoR easier to use than php? Just from what I've read today it looks really simple, but then again I'd have to learn a new language - is it worth it? I'm not building complex sites, but all my sites or have to be dynamic, and RoR seems like the right choice.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind support for RoR isn't wide spread. You'd be limited to hosts that support it which may affect your opportunity to use applications you develop and may alienate clients who don't have or want access to RoR servers. PHP is as widespread as it gets and is very readily adopted and still growing in terms of support on the enterprise level.

I don't know RoR and know very little about it general so take my reply with a grain of salt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP is as widespread as it gets and is very readily adopted and still growing in terms of support on the enterprise level.
    True, would you suggest learning them in parallel then? i.e, knowing both of them would be useful?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavius
    True, would you suggest learning them in parallel then? i.e, knowing both of them would be useful?
    Absolutely. Knowing more then one language is always good for the resume. Plus learning an emergening technology is always fun and can get you ahead of the game.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavius
    I would actually say no.

RoR is based on MVC theory, and an understanding of fundamental code design principles is necessary to truly understand Rails. Get further into PHP, and really start to utilize its object oriented code, and understand that code.

You are only going to get confused if you start trying to do work in a framework when you are just trying to learn a scripting language.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbak
    I would actually say no.

RoR is based on MVC theory, and an understanding of fundamental code design principles is necessary to truly understand Rails. Get further into PHP, and really start to utilize its object oriented code, and understand that code.

You are only going to get confused if you start trying to do work in a framework when you are just trying to learn a scripting language.
    I dunno, I would skip past PHP and go directly to Ruby. RoR so easily deals with issues that have caused so much confusion in PHP over the years about MVC. Just look at the thread http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184548 or all the numerous threads on PHP ORM solutions and the gazillion threads on templating solutions. Now go read up on RoR and it just kills you how easily this is all resolved.

IMHO, if you want solid OOP understanding learn Java, not to mention excellent job opportunity with J2EE. If you want to build easy and robust websites and look to the future then learn Ruby and buy a book on RoR. "Agile Web Development With Rails" will change your world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know asmallorange allows it, they have some very low cost hosting plans that you may be able to use for development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rails web hosts. It's no PHP4, but then again, neither is PHP5.

I'd suggest for any technology that interests you and has good reviews that you try it out and keep using it until it disappoints you.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest for any technology that interests you and has good reviews that you try it out and keep using it until it disappoints you.
    Good call, I think I just set it up on my comp and experiment and tinker...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night I started to learn Ruby - from what I've heard it's better to learn Ruby before RoR. Coming from php i'm finding it tricky; but it's easier than when I did not know any coding/scripting and was/am learning php. I'm not going to give up php just yet, I have it running a few sites and I still would like to make improvements on those sites. However, for future sites that I'd like to build, using RoR seems like a good choice.

I just asked my web host if they support RoR and here was their response (keep in mind that I sent this to the sales guy, not the tech guy).

I checked with the techs, and they said you would be the first client of ours to try this, so they said try it, and see if it works. We run standard apache and mysql so it should be ok. If you experience problems after, they can try to work it out then but they haven't had any experiences with it at this point.
    I thought one has to install RoR before .rhtml files can be read? If so wouldn't they first have to install RoR to make it work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah they dont have it.

On www.rubyonrails.com they have a complete list somewhere, I highly recommend Dreamhost if your looking to get the most for your money, make sure to find a cupoun deal first though.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from a 2 year freelancing it in PHP to RoR and I have to say I'm very happy with my decision. PHP itself didn't help me in learning Ruby because the two languages are very different, but a basic understanding of programming does help. The only benefit I see of knowing PHP is being able to offer both for freelancing But I highly recommend RoR

On www.rubyonrails.com they have a complete list somewhere, I highly recommend Dreamhost if your looking to get the most for your money, make sure to find a cupoun deal first though.
    Coupon code to get $97 off of one year! "RAILSROCKS" without the quotes of course.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmitchx
    I went from a 2 year freelancing it in PHP to RoR and I have to say I'm very happy with my decision. PHP itself didn't help me in learning Ruby because the two languages are very different, but a basic understanding of programming does help. The only benefit I see of knowing PHP is being able to offer both for freelancing But I highly recommend RoR

Coupon code to get $97 off of one year! "RAILSROCKS" without the quotes of course.
    Heh. Yea, there are tons of coupons.

I forget what they do, but here are some I've seen over the past few months:

40less
    MAXIMUM

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joellark
    Heh. Yea, there are tons of coupons.

I forget what they do, but here are some I've seen over the past few months:

40less
    MAXIMUM
    yes but RAILSROCKS is the best out of all of those. Plus 777 and 888 were "limited"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, I'll look into it. I won't make any commitments until I feel comfortable with Ruby (and later RoR). There's no point paying for service that's not being used!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind support for RoR isn't wide spread. You'd be limited to hosts that support it which may affect your opportunity to use applications you develop and may alienate clients who don't have or want access to RoR servers.
    I think it will become a pretty standard feature for hosts to offer during first few months of next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maccrazy
    I think it will become a pretty standard feature for hosts to offer during first few months of next year.
    Version 1.0 was only released this week, now is the time for hosts to start adopting it

Douglas
    Hello World