SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which is the best script for running a free email/newsletter list?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Powerlist

0 0%
  • PhpList

1 33.33%
  • Ciao

0 0%
  • MyMail

2 66.67%
    SitePoint Enthusiast oneafrikan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help needed: phplist and alternatives for newsletters

Hi there

I'm in the process of building a community site, and need to add a newsletter. Until now I was gonna use Powelist, from Solutionscripts. However, I'm obviously wanting to find the best solution for the need, as well as the ability to scale upward in number of users.

Anyway - I recently came accross phplist, which seems to be a good alternative, using php and a mysql backend.

The question is, has anyone had any experiences with these programmes, good or bad, or can anyone recommend a good, solid, robust alternative? I'd appreciate any comments, suggestions and feedback you'd give.

Thank you and regards

/timber
    -> www.oneafrikan.com ><-><><-><-><-><-><
    -> www.openboxsoftware.com ><><-><-><-><

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't used it extensively but this program looks good EternalMart Mailing List Manager: http://www.eternalmart.com/

MyMail has a few bugs that may or may not affect you, but it didn't work out for me. I did like the program though.
    Last edited by zoordaan; Aug 31, 2001 at 09:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

Thanks man.

had a look - looks promising!!

Anyone else got any comments or ideas??

/timber

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked out PHP-Nuke. I'm planing to use it on my own page. It's pretty good.

PHP-Nuke
    Art4eye <-- a great resorce for webdesigners

You can't make anyone love you, you can only stalk them and hope that they panic and give in!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep

hey there Neon.

yup -I've been to phpNuke, downloaded everything, and really thought about using it, BUT, I have two main concerns:

1. I'm trying to break away from the traditional left/top navigation system found on most sites, and as a newbie to php and mySQL, I'm not backing myself to be able to "customize" the code so that it fits the "design" I'm loooking for.

2. I think for what I need, it's overkill ;-), no offense to any of the developers, I think it's an awesome app , but for what I need it's too much. That said, I'm gonna be working on a "news/article" based site soon, where the design is gonna be tradtional, and the functionality offered by phpNuke would be necessary.

Anyway - I've been able to find what I need on the net, to do what I wanna do, while still maintaining design flexibility, and now have a nice selection of scripts that do what I need (vBulletin one of them!). Also, I've learnt a helluva lot in the process - a lot from these forums ;-) - so thats it. If anyones interested, I can let em know what my "collection" is, and possibly add them all as a single download from these forums for people to make use of if they need/want.

Still wondering if anyone has any more comments though - once I've got a few subscribers to my community mail list, it's gonna be difficult to "migrate" to another script...? - so I wanna make the right choice now...

Anyway - thanks and good luck with phpNuke!

/timber