SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question What are the best ways to start building my community?

What are the best ways to start a brand new online community?

I have heard of using posting services and also making alias names to post, but what are the most successful ways of doing it and getting quality members that consistly come back?

How do i target the audience that I want and where?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go to forums and post with a link in your signature that will get backlinks and members. But don't make it look like what your signature looks like now, make it bold different colours or just the name and it gets people intrigued (not always). I don't think that hiring a posting service will always work as sometimes they just don't post relavent threads, just things like what is your favourite colour. You should also look into link exchanges and things like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You still need a core group of active members to interact with the paid posters nevertheless. That will create some forum activity that will make people want to join your forums.
    Inspireo Media - Solutions for a brilliant web presence
    Hollywood Fashion Tape from Orinity.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some forums just take off immediately, and others take a bit more time to get going. I'd start out asking your friends to help out getting the forum going. Another way to get new posters is to actively recruit posters at other forums. Many people use Ghosts to get things going, but it is really about word of mouth.

I'm sure the majority of forums that are started fail. I've had 2 failures for 1 successful forum. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My forum, Build Your Forum, took off in about a week or two. It is my only forum that took off that fast. What I did was hire some paid posters and run contests at the same time. Some people just stuck around after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I would ask my friends to help me start it off, but they don't know anything about the topics in my forum . I think it should be pretty popular, it being general about Internet Marketing & Advertising, plus there is always the free advertising thrown in.

I did get 3 new members yesterday and it was only launched yesterday!-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with what has already been said about your signature. The most successful signatures are the ones that are very short and sweet...often times even the ones that dont explain your site, but just say something like "my site" or "my forums" ....I havent been able to bring myself to do this yet though, a bit hypocritical I guess ...I do know that I would never look at a signature like yours

Quote Originally Posted by NRLMedia
    what are the most successful ways of doing it and getting quality members that consistly come back?
    The most important way to do this is to create lots of content...if you can put up some good articles on advertising, people will keep coming back to read more and more info....If you dont put up any quality content for your members to read, they wont be as encouraged to come back. If you have a budget, it isnt a bad idea to buy exclusive articles (hire a content writer) so that you have very good unique content - but that can get expensive.

Also, I would make some modifications to the skin....the default skin and images is a bad thing...that suggests to me that the admin is not very dedicated to the forums