SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had a progressive career do I need to get an education?

I have been in the workforce for 20years, I just turned 40. I have had a progressive career and received several promotions while working for one large corporation for 16 years were I was in a corporate management position. I was recruted by a consulting company where I have been for the past four years. I am now a senior IT consultant with a good reputation. However I need to stop travelling and be local therefore need to find a local job. I don't expect to replace my 100K salary however would like to find something above 80K. I quit college to take my initial position 20 years ago thinking that was a better solution considering I didn't have any money. Now that I want to look for a different job is it the opinion that I need to finish a business degree before I can expect to find a good salary or should I expect that my vast experience should suffice?

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    I was in a similar position a year ago (although I had only been in the industry for 8 years). I went and spoke to an IT recruitment company. I am not sure what country you are in, so things may differ, but they told me that it depends so much on the company these days. There are many big corporates that expect education, but there are just as many smaller (more open minded) companies that are happy with experience, provided you have good references.

Talking to the recruitment agent made me feel a whole lot more confident about my position. I would recommend it to you. Go to one with no strings attached... you don't want them to try and rope you into getting a job through them if you are not ready for that.

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Thanks Hawk

I will follow your advise... thanks

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 yrs of experience trumps a piece of paper from a school.

I wouldn't worry about it UNLESS you plan on changing careers entirely.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with the others. You have so much experience in your career field, as long as you don't switch fields, I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem. However, I know some companies or organizations (government) that mandate a degree for certain positions/pay grades.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with others, it really depends on what you will do if your planning to change fields you need to have a good education. It also depend on the company you are with.