SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MySQL or PostgreSQL on Rails?

I know Rails will work with either of them. Is the support and performance equal for both of them? I know there are a lot of arguments about the pros / cons of MySQL and PostgreSQL - but I'm more interested in any Rails specific issues or comparisons.

Thanks!

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there are any Rails-specific gotchas or pros and cons except perhaps the fact that Rails' auto-loading of fixtures when unit testing doesn't always play nice with Postgres if you are using database constraints. Ultimately, the choice of database still comes down to the pros/cons of the databases themselves, not integration with Rails.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're interested, I just posted an article to my blog about testing with database constraints, because I did run into some issues with setting up foreign keys.

Anyway Rails plays nicely with both PostgreSQL and MySQL. As Luke said, it's all about what you want from your DB. I recommend subscribing to Robby Russel's blog because he has some good hints with using Rails and PostgreSQL.