User Tag List

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Text Not Resizing

Hi,

I've been trying to fix my ways. So I am starting to set font sizes as points instead of pixels so people with sight problems can still read the site by changing their font settings.

At first I tried setting the sizes as ems but that caused some serious problems so I used points. The text resizes in Mozilla fine but in Internet Explorer it doesn't apear to. I don't really want to set the font sizes as keywords (xx-small, x-small etc.) because it doesn't give me enough control and I know it causes alot of problems across platforms because of the way the keywords are handled.

I'd apreciate any help so people using IE will be able to change the text size on my page.

Here's the necessary code from my stylesheet and the site I am refering to is my log site (see sig).

Code:
    body, td, p, a 
    	{
    	font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    	font-size: 8pt;
    	color: #000000
    	}

.net install meltdown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using pt in < IE 5.5 (win) makes the font-size fixed. Not sure if that's different in IE 6 or what happens when you mix IE w/ a mac.

There's some in-depth info on font-size and browser peculiarities at alistapart.

What problems are you having with em?

Are you using nested elements (tables,lists)?

One caveat for using em or percent: elements inherit the font-size property from the parent element. So if you have td,p {font-size:80%} and have a <p> within a <td> the font-size will be 80% (<p>) of 80%(<td>) or 64%. The same applies to line-height.

Creating a class for nested elements can help.
    Code:
    .nested
      {
      font-size:100%;
      }
    Post some code, I'm becoming a CSS junkie.

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for your help, I didn't realise that points fixed font size in IE5.5+ (I have the beta of 6 installed and that doesn't work either).

The problem with ems I had is that they seemed to crash most browsers I used, it was probably a problem with my code. In the site I am talking about I do have some nested elements (mainly p's in td's) so percentages could work, they could get very complicated on some more of my complcated layouts because this one is very simple..

Thanks loads for your help, I'm going to go through my options and I will decide a bit later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never realised that using pt wouldn't resize say using the view/text size thing in IE. Oops.

I suppose if you're worried about short sighted people or whoever, just use a middleground size (Verdana 9pt?). I use 8pt and everyone complains it is way too small...
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This article might be useful.

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/sizematters/

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for that link Duckie, I will have a play with my stylesheets later when I get the time and test out a couple of options.