User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tracing copied sites

Hi

Can't think where else to post this. Seemed the most appropriate forum.

I design and sell css templates. Some have been copied and I have found them by chance.

Is there a way to search/trace for more rather than just finding them by accident? I'm thinking of some kind of search engine that can trace snippets of code etc.

If not is there some way I can embed something innoculous into the design that will be traceable.

I know there are tools that can trace duplicate content, but as they are templates, content will not be the same.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.copyscape.com/ that's your best bet

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trampt
    http://www.copyscape.com/ that's your best bet
    Nah, that only does content .... he wants code and templates.

Not possible as far as I know. You could find a billion instances of a few lines of code out there..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could find a billion instances of a few lines of code out there..
    But if I was to make the code stand out in some way, would there be a way to find it. e.g. give a class a very unusual name etc.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little paranoid are we? HTML is relatively benign. Even if someone does copy your HTML, what did they get? What super proprietary information is there?

I'm not saying I wouldn't be upset if someone ripped one of my designs but you have to weigh the time you'll spend versus the reward. You could easily get obsessed with finding those who violate your copyright - spending hours and hours a week trying to find them and get them to stop.

But in the end, it's you who suffer. You spend most of your time being paranoid chasing kids who are most likely never going anywhere w/ their sites anyway. Let nature take its course and it would probably be taken down by the owners.

I guess what I'm trying to say is look at how much your time is worth. If you just happen upon someone stealing your designs, by all means contact them. But don't spend a large portion of your time trying to protect your code and images, and find people who infringe on copyrights. You'll soon find that you don't have time to actually work.