SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yahoo! buys del.icio.us

To quote the del.icio.us blog:

We're proud to announce that del.icio.us has joined the Yahoo! family. Together we'll continue to improve how people discover, remember and share on the Internet, with a big emphasis on the power of community. We're excited to be working with the Yahoo! Search team - they definitely get social systems and their potential to change the web. (We're also excited to be joining our fraternal twin Flickr!)

We want to thank everyone who has helped us along the way - our employees, our great investors and advisors, and especially our users. We still want to get your feedback, and we look forward to bringing you new features and more servers in the future.

I look forward to continuing my vision of social and community memory, and taking it to the next level with the del.icio.us community and Yahoo!
    I'm sending out invitations to my "Bubble 2.0" party. Who wants one??
    Jeffrey Hunt, freelance PHP & MySQL developer
    Resume: http://www.jeffreyhunt.org/resume/

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks to Google's plans for world domination the big boys are going to continually snatch up nitch websites/services in an effort to get their fingers into everything. Still trying to decide if this is a good thing or not. As long as Google continues to offer the majority of their services for free I think their competitiors will be forced to do so as well and be forced to innovate which is good for consumers. But how long will this trend last?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't know what amount of value delicious holds for any interested party. del.icio.us doesn't have any kind of revenue model, and is only truly relevant as a novelty.

Don't get me wrong - I think that tagging is an important and interesting technology, but it's not going to spell revolution on the Web. I was equally suspicious when I heard that del.icio.us had acquired venture captial. "Why?" is the question that I want to ask.

Add to this, the fact that tagging isn't a patented technology. Yahoo could surely copy this idea just as other sites have done (flickr, technorati, etc). Heck, Yahoo already uses tagging in flickr... what use will del.icio.us be as an asset?

I guess it's pretty clear that I shook my head when I read the news. It just baffles me. I'm completely clueless as to why this spending spree has been going on.

All I know is that I want to see real innovation come out of this. Not just innovation, but profit-generating innovation. If a second round of "irrational exuberance" threatens my livelihood once again, heads will roll!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it has more to do with having more points of contact with consumers/users. Google is rapidly expanding into virtually every business and niche. Every little service they offer in another hand on the shoulder of consumers to drive them towards Google's interests. Even if the service is free, if the consumer identifies the service as being useful and yours then the perceived value of your profitable services increases their eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a good point. I'm just a little weary of all of this. In my line of work, I work very hard to bring practical innovation to my clients. I'm generally distrustful of this kind of hype since I think it diverts attention from the work that actually needs to be done.

I'm jaded at an early age, I suppose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and just what is so innovative about del.icio.us? Does achieving success qualify as innovation these days? god save us all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know... I suppose they were popular, but I'm not sure exactly why.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamscape
    and just what is so innovative about del.icio.us? Does achieving success qualify as innovation these days? god save us all.
    You don't need to advance the cause of rocket science to be considered innovative. It could be the simplest of ideas and still be innovative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    You don't need to advance the cause of rocket science to be considered innovative. It could be the simplest of ideas and still be innovative.
    But that is just it... a site for people to store an share their bookmarks online is not new or innovative. At one time it may have been innovative, but sites like this have existed for quite some time. The only real difference is that del.icio.us gained moderate popularity. And here again, being successful, while fantastic, does not qualify as being innovative. Nor does being popular.

Now both of those could be a good reason to be bought, but all the members of the cult of del.icio.us are saying they were bought because the site is innovative.

So again I ask, what exact is so innovative about del.icio.us? And I am looking for a serious answer here, not one that just dances around the question.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    I think it has more to do with having more points of contact with consumers/users. Google is rapidly expanding into virtually every business and niche. Every little service they offer in another hand on the shoulder of consumers to drive them towards Google's interests. Even if the service is free, if the consumer identifies the service as being useful and yours then the perceived value of your profitable services increases their eyes.
    I'd say specially if the service is free
    On a PHP/Java/XML/Javascript/MySQL internship right now!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motion-ex
    I'd say specially if the service is free
    I agree. Free services are a gateway to paid services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamscape
    So again I ask, what exact is so innovative about del.icio.us?

...but sites like this have existed for quite some time. ...
    Ok, del.icio.us offers free bookmark hosting with organization by multiple keywords and makes those bookmarks available to the public by keyword and shows a link's popularity as a bookmark for that keyword.

What sites are you referring to that do the same thing and have done so for quite some time?
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?