SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Never getting started? (NOT GOOD)!

What is wrong with me?
    I have this fantastic idea that I can sell over the internet and in retail stores. I even own the Trademark that I paid lots of money for.
    BUT I AM DOING NOTHING TO PRODUCE THE PRODUCT!!!!!
    What the hell is wrong with me? Why aren't I doing this?

For CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't even get me started on not getting anything started.

-Costas
    Last edited by firehous; Dec 9, 2005 at 14:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, I think the only person that can answer your question is, well, you. Is it lack of motivation? Lack of time? Lack of direction? Apparently something is missing there. It always helps me to read a good business book. I always feel pretty motivated after reading Dan Kennedy's stuff on Entreprenuership, Time Management, Sales, etc. Maybe what you need is a bit of a vacation, some time spent doing absolutely nothing. That always makes me want to get right back into peak productivity...

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah methinks Dave is right.... you can only yell at yourself.

I go through this once in a while usually when it's "scambling to pay the bills" or "too many things at one time"

Probably need to set some time aside for this each week and make sure you do it. Plan time when you know you won't be bothered (I do this kind of stuff at 3am)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think just about everyone has a little bit of this problem. You have to do something (or don't have to, but want to), but just don't.

I saw don't stress to much. Give yourself time (but no too much time! ).

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Designer
    What the hell is wrong with me? Why aren't I doing this?
    While that question is one that only you can answer, I think alot of people (myself included at times) get stuck because of either fear of failure or even a fear of success.

Take a good hard look at what you've been doing and what you want to do and figure out what it is that's keeping you from taking that next step. I know in my case I can sometimes be too much of a perfectionist and I hesitate to move forward unless everything's just right - but the right way to go about things is to start moving in the direction you want to go and adjust your course as necessary to keep moving toward your goals.

I agree with David that Dan Kennedy's books are always good motivation for me, but you might also want to read Action! : Nothing Happens Until Something Moves by Robert Ringer or The Success Principles: How to Get From Where You Are to Where You Want to Be by Jack Canfield.

Cheers,

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is actually a good post. A bit of a cry for help or for a kick in the pants.

As the guys have said, we all suffer this at times.

We know what we need to do but we just don't do it.

I suffer this at times and having analysed it myself I tend think that it is because of the following things.

Doubt: We don't doubt our idea. We doubt our ability to get our idea across. We doubt other peoples receptiveness to the idea. We doubt our ability to take care of problems that arise. And ofcourse a lot of other doubts creep in.

Hope: We have a great idea but we see so many negatives along the way. We start to see HUGE problems that can occur.

If this idea takes off will I be able to afford that $1000 a month dedicated hosting? If this idea takes off how will I be able to afford to hire someone else and exxpand? etc. Then we start to think that there are too many obstacles and lose hope. Even subconciously.

Lack of confidence and know how: Not a lack of confidence in our own skills but a lack of confidence in other skills we will need a long the way. 'I dont' know anyone in the peanut butter industry, how do I get a foot in the door?', 'I don't know how to get coles/myer to sell my peanut butter'.

Then we start throwing up all the obstacles again. Everything seems way beyond us and we feel way out of our depth. And we haven't even started yet!

I think the trick is step outside of your current thinking.

I think Albert Einstein once said something along the lines of (please correct me if I get it wrong hehe)..

'You can't get ahead by applying the same level of thinking that got you where you are today.'

So don't concentrate on the obstacles, concentrate on the goal.

I too find it really motivating to read biz books and sites.

One of my favs is http://www.justinherald.com/

He doesn't pussy foot around and tells it like it is but encourages you at the same time.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Get stuck into it!!!