SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Private Radio Station idea

My brother is interested in starting up a music site and I wanted to get some opinions here. At first, his idea was to simply put all of his music online (he has over 100 cd's) so that he could listen to it at work or wherever without having to carry them around. Then he figured he could make the site to where anyone else could do the same. The difference is that one person could not download nor listen to another person's "station". He wants to also charge for the service but I told him that would make him more likely to face legal action. Am I right?

I know him...he will just do it w/o care. I want to know if his intentions are legal. If he does reasonable security standards then surely he could keep *most* from obtaining songs not on their "playlist". Would that even be considered acceptable?

Thanks.

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Illegal.

In a big, big house, with lotsa lotsa room
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I'm sure you know, when you buy a music CD, just like software, you do not own the right to the songs. You are essentially licensed to listen to it, but not to distribute it in any way, including giving copies away. So, like software, it's technically illegal to make yourself a copy of a friend's CD collection.

I may be mistaken, but I think you're allowed to make additional copies for yourself. You can burn a copy of your CD's for the car and keep the originals in the house. So this could go one of two ways, as I see it. A court could decide that this is a legitimate "copy," so long as one person couldn't listen to another's station. Or, since "station" usernames and passwords can be shared, it might be seen as a means of distribution. Unfortunately, unless this model has already been tried and tested, the only way it will probably be resolved is in court.