SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Do you expire your proposals/offers?

I would like to seek insight into a thought I had - to expire proposals and offers.

For example - you send someone a proposal, either a response to an RFP/RFQ or following an in-person meeting, then you never hear back from them. Or, maybe months go by and then you finally hear from them, but at that point you may not be interested in doing business with them, etc.

Does anyone include this in their contracts?

Thanks in advance...

mp/m

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. We have a Proposal Validity and Terms section at the end of proposals that states the services described and associated cost estimates are valid through X date, usually 30 days depending on the particular situation. This has worked well for the company, although not a web design environment, still a professional services consulting environment.

David

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of my proposals have an expiration date. You can't expect to give a company a proposal, let them wait a year and then start it up at the price you gave them originally. They may want to, but times change, prices increase and offers expire. All of my proposals are good for 30 days. If they call me after that 30 days, the costs will have to be re-evaluated to make sure they are still valid. A lot of the time, if they do wait, the scope changes and the estimate you gave is no longer on the same level. The amount of time you put on it is up to you, but you should definitely put some expiration on it ... otherwise you could have a client come back with an ancient proposal they want upheld. Trying to explain that it's no longer good without any written notation on it could be tough, so I'd leave no doubt when they have to reply by.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30 days here as well.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. By the law in my country you may be binded by the offer.
    George Skee
    Follow me at GeorgeSkee.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our proposals are good for 30 days only. After 30 days, we will reevaluate to see if the price is still adequate and will modify the proposal accordingly.

Of course, even within the 30 days I can decide not to work with someone. A proposal is just a proposal. It's not an agreement until signed by both parties. If I don't like their attitude, punctuality or think they have money issues I'll walk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Thank you all!

Thanks all for your advice and suggestions. I have incorporated language into my contracts for expiry, and now I have one more thing under my control, and one less thing to worry about... hopefully!

mp/m