SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this a good idea?

My boyfriend runs the site http://www.nclawenforcement.com. Basically, it's just a listing of all the law enforcement agencies in the state of North Carolina and their contact information.

Anyway, he's thinking of redesigning the page and I suggested he look into databasing the site. Personally, I know less than nothing about databasing, but it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

Is it actually a worthwhile idea? Meaning, would it save time and energy in regards to updates, adding new listings, and making sitewide changes?

Secondly, since we're both complete newbies to mysql and php, is this something we should even try to attack? I think it would be a great learning experience for us, but if it's completely impossible, well, I don't want to have to quit in failure, ya know?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

There are a lot of reasons for doing it.

Before I go there, how often will the information change? Probably rarely. But there are still reasons for a db.

Lets go with php and mysql.

Build the db for a flexible search. Consider the abc (first on the menu) Name, City, County. Expand that to Name, Address, Address2, City, Zip, County, Phone, Fax, eMail etc.

Now set it up to search on any of the above. Lets say you have the name of the agency in CityA and run the search. Then you run the address in that city for all agencies at that location. etc. Now that is flexible.

To add another at the present time, the html has to be redone, to add another using a db, go to the forms pages and submit another to the db. the next time the page is called, the change is there.

A really good place to get the information to start is right here at SitePoint. go to www.sitepoint.com and run a search for a tutorial on using databases by Kevin Yank (10 parts). There he is generating a db using mysql and php for the storage and retrieval of jokes. The name of course changes but the methods tha t you would need are all there and are very correct. Most of the folks here have worked through the tutorial and can and will help.

peace