SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

User signature image royalty problem...

I just got an invoice from http://www.gettyimages.com for approximately $2,500 for the usage of an image on my website. The image in question appeared in the signature of a user, the user is not associated with us and the image was hosted on one of those free image hosts. The signature also hasn't been on the website for months as the user seems to have changed it since. This is also the first time they have contacted me. What should I do? Doubt I can afford this license. Thanks for any feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd simply write them back telling that your users sign an agreement upon registration stating that they are responsible for their content.

Tell them that you have removed the image in question and have taken appropriate action agains the user in question.

See where it goes from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also give them the name of the free host site where the image is stored.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I don't actually know where the image was located other than it wasn't on my server. The user stopped using it months ago (which makes the date range they quoted in the invoice a lie), I've also contacted the company that they use to track images http://www.picscout.com as their software is giving their clients the impression that the image is hosted on the website that is displaying the image (I got a printout of their software with the invoice).