SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Do You Indrocude Job in an Interesting Manner?

How do you present your job to a girl you just met in the club, without being too boring? "I... I... make websites!", "Gosh, not another geek.", she thinks. Or how do you describe your job to your grandparents without too much details? I just can't find an interesting way to describe my work. Help me!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can only present it the way you see it. You probably see your work as a geeky thing! Love what you do and don't judge it by what others think. They probably see the lack confidence in you and not what you do.

Are you a coder or graphic artist? I'm not a developer so I can say cool stuff like i'm a Graphic artist and the like. (who are not geeks, only coders are! haha).

Read an article on Sara's blog ilovecode.com forgot the title though.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just make something up, its all about pretending ur a doctor, or pilot, or lawyer and being confident enough to get away with it.

if she likes u, that much, maybe she'll see the funny side of it 3 weeks down the line when u show up at her place of work to sign a web design contract :-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conradical
    You can only present it the way you see it. You probably see your work as a geeky thing! Love what you do and don't judge it by what others think. They probably see the lack confidence in you and not what you do.

Are you a coder or graphic artist? I'm not a developer so I can say cool stuff like i'm a Graphic artist and the like. (who are not geeks, only coders are! haha).

Read an article on Sara's blog ilovecode.com forgot the title though.
    I did forsee that someone would give me that answer.

But no, you're absolutely wrong. I love my job, i love it so much that i started my own company half a year ago. It's just that you can't describe interstingly that you make sofware for gathering information from web campaign or that you make cool cms for listed compnies and so on.

daniel_eastley, thanks, but i really dont want to pretend being a doctor

Guys, it's not a big deal, just got me thinking if someone thought about this, that we do job we love but can't describe it interestinly enough to someone else.
    Last edited by constans; Dec 11, 2005 at 05:15.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry! I didn't mean you don't love your job but I'm saying that people pick up vibes. Maybe it's a matter of expression with a mix of your preconceived notion that people think web stuff is geeky and girls are not interested. Get rid of that preconceived notion that what you are going to say might sound geeky or boring, cause people pick up on that. I mean don't sell yourself short. Heck i build cms' and if you think thats geeky, i couldn't be buggered! Thats the confidence you should use and girls like the confidence and not what you actually do.

The way you explained to me about how you love your job and started out your company that builds cms' and stuff was passionate. Use that, be passionate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yah confidence is king.

Use words like: design, engineer, create, manage, creative process when talking about what you do.

For instance if I worked at McDonalds making burgers I'd say:

"I'm a gastronomic engineer; I design and create various layered gourmet meals. It's often a very creative process; I mean there are so many ways one can layer."

It's all in the delivery. You just gotta jazz it up - you don't have to lie, but you can stretch the truth (she might find that really funny).

The other thing you can do is focus on specific websites or jobs you've done. I find putting things in perspective really helpful. Saying you make CMSs is kind of abstract, saying you "designed and engineered a system that allows people at [company name] to easily update the their website" is a lot more salient.

If that doesn't work, tell her [girl at bar] you have trouble finding underwear that can fit your "stuff".