SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outsourcing Question

I have been trying to figure exactly what services to offer to my potential customers. And thought about this... is it fair to offer things that I don't have the skills for?

For example, I am experienced in graphics design and PHP programming. But I'd like to also do Flash websites, but I'm not too good at it yet. Would it be fair for me to offer Flash services ... if I hire a freelancer to do the work under my site's name? Would the customer have to know?

Say I only know this:
    - Graphic Design
    - HTML
    - PHP

And I want to offer:
    - Flash
    - ASP
    - 3D Design

Would it logical to offer everything and just outsource work in the areas I am not efficient in?
    SK

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fair... the customer doesn't need to know. Often some of the contests you see running here at SitePoint are for designers or programmers who are outsourcing logo or template creation.

It might be in your best interest to line up some reliable freelancers whose work you like and who you like working with to make sure you can always get stuff in on deadline and to your satisfaction.
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that.

Is this often done in the industry? I remember when I started out, I was doing outsourced work for other companies, I never got credit for it but I was well paid so I was happy.
    SK