SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Music Community

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Music Community

I am in the process of creating a music community. I have alloted myself about 3 months (in addition to school and activities) to complete at least a beta release.

So far I have just created a design. The following is what it will look like.
    http://www.buddybuddha.net/yabb2/yab...ut.jpg#content

I plan on coding the template as my first major site without tables and then developing a flash streaming player and doing the database work over the next three months.

As far as getting members to post music, I dont think that will be all too difficult, since most bands wouldnt mind any more publicity so long as it is relatively simple to do so. Ive been testing the interfaces of different sites like this to see how they work and where I could improve them. Ive also been frequenting the suggestions parts of their forums to see what problems people have with them.

Do you think emailing members and asking them what they would like to be improved is a good idea?

But letting people know about the site will be difficult. I will have to do some SEO, some google ads and things of that nature I suppose.

What keywords should I market most heavily?
    What are some other ways of marketing you have had success with?

What seems most positive about this is the general lack of heavy competition.

I have narrowed my fight down to three major competitors, and a few lesser threats.

They are:

http://www.purevolume.com
    http://www.bandspace.com
    http://www.myspace.com

Ultimately anyone would agree that Pure Volume wins that fight hands down. Myspace is only popular because of its primary purpose, but I think that anyone who was looking to find new music would choose one of the others. Bandspace I think has potential to be better than purevolume, but I think there are too loose requirements on memberships. Half the bands dont have any music, no pictures, and somehow they still make it to thte featured section. I think the featured sections should be bands that, at least, have proof of their existence. Also the site is a bit difficult to navigate.

I would like to combine the merits of those sites and minimize the downsides.

Another couple notable competitors are:

http://www.sonicgarden.com/
    They have the number one spot on google for Music Community, but I think theyre design is not so good.
    Also, Im pretty sure their radio doesnt work.

There are others but the designs tend to get worse and worse and will generally, I believe, distract people from the possible qualities of the sites.

How does my design compare with theirs?
    So how do you think I stack up to the giants?
    What are som ways I could convert people to use my site instead of theirs?
    If you are familiar with them, what do you lke and dislike?

A couple special features that my site will feature that sets it apart:
    -Possible Video Support
    -Cheaper Premium Mebership
    -Audio quality comparable to bandspace as opposed to purevolume
    -More local stress
    -Less mainstream signed bands

What other features do you think would really set it apart.

And one final thing is income and server management. I understand that the servers used will be under heavy load so the site will need to generate some money. This will be done with premium memberships and advertising, obviously. But, what is the likelihood of finding mirrors that can get advertising in exchange for server usage rather than cash? For instance a little this song brought to you by Server City inside the player or something to that nature.

Also, do you think people will pay about $5 a month for premium membership? What special features should I offer to premium members?

So those are my main questions. Please feel free to expess any other concerns you have about this, etc. What are your general thoughts on this project?

Thanks for bearin with me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody have any thoughts at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i run a music community,

its aimed at irish people being where im from, but i havnt gone into as much dept as you have on your idea, i merely wanted news, forums downloads and links.

i got that with phpnuke and the site is doing well ( normally 20,000 uniques a month and around 100,000 - 400,000 page views depending and 1-3 million hits ) which is good in my eyes since its my first big (ish) site.

the first thing i did was get a little friendship with the webmaster of a the biggest music promoter in ireland who gives me guestlist access to gigs which i gave away as competitions. this helped greatly, no cost to me.

im now looking to get rid of phpnuke to build my community further and stamp my personal style on the site rather than a phpnuke style.
    i will probably go with Vbulletin and build a small CMS myself, nothing fancy merely data controlling to take in and display links, downloads, news

these basics give people what they want, the downloads hosted off server, a lot of bands already upload to the likes of myspace which means less server load for me.

adsense doesnt pay well on music terms, that i can garuntee, i put ads back up recently since i started thinking about moving to paid solutions and well its on about $8 since the end of november. i think the content of the site just isnt valuable in adsense terms, not many music orientated sites would make massive money out of paying well on adsense. still any money is good money. though i'd love to find out why CPM sites turn me down considering i dont break on rules of joining

anyway it seems like a good idea, the market is starting to get full of music sites, a lot of them are not SEO friendly and are harder to be found, usually they are found with backlinks from bands and venue's and the like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an idea for promotion for the summer. I plan on making about a thousand copies of like a 6 track sample cd and distributing it outside concerts around the country. It should work pretty decently becausne everytime I get free stuff outside a concert I vist the site, especially if its a free cd with good music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could work

we did 3 charity gigs where we rented a venue and put bands on and the profits went to charity

big surge in traffic around then

signature promotion works too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can actually ask the ad networks why you are being rejected so that you can work on the problems.
    Inspireo Media - Solutions for a brilliant web presence
    Hollywood Fashion Tape from Orinity.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i did

burstmedia still havnt responded, i have a ticket number though