SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot virginiamonkeys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Which CMS Would Fit My Needs as Follows?...

I have 2 different site "frameworks" that I need a CMS for. If I can learn just one CMS to work the 2 different sites, all the better.

Site 1 requirements:

This will be a site with huge growth potential for a very fast growing segment of the technology field. For future reference, this technology will be referred to as "TECHNOLOGY".

This site's focus for growth will be the forums, but will also have free and paid-for tutorials presented by different TECHNOLOGY manufacturers.

Each member will be interested in the forums and the tutorials, but will also have a page for their organization where they can post updates and keep in touch with others within their organization and internet-wide about how they are implementing TECHNOLOGY within their organization.

In the ideal growth part of the forum, there will be sections for manufacturers, for tutorials, and also for each organization, broken down by country, state, and then by county.

Within the main site, in addition to the forums and tutorials, there will be a news feature, and a section where each manufacturer can submit a press release, to be incorporated as a news article.

Each organization will also be able to submit a press release, not only to the internet community, but there will be an automated email feature that will email the press release to newspapers within a preset radius of the organization.

The site will feature an online demo of TECHNOLOGY, and let users interact with the features of it. I have to get more details out of the man who's trying to get this running, but I understand the backend of this TECHNOLOGY database is oracle powered and will be running on his own servers. I just need to pop this info onto the website in a user-friendly interactive way.

I plan on running this with PHP4 and MySQL.

Estimated traffic should be about 500 users a day and 3000 pageviews per day (based on some stats I farmed from a few similar sites).

Hopefully we can get some advertising revenue, but in the beginning this may be tough.

Site 2 Requirements:

I have a site that has 4 subdomains as addon domains.

I'm trying to get a CMS that will run all 5 sites on one CMS if possible (but not really necessary).

I've built these sites with php using notepad, but would like to have 2 or 3 of these sites on a CMS so the respective members (all family) can edit their own content without screwing up the templates. (I had a site built nice, then my dad wanted to edit it with FrontPage. Yuck. That site was a lot of work for me keeping clean.)

One of the domains has a lot of reused content on each of the 300+ pages, and also has an ecommerce store, that I probably will keep separate, but linked to. I don't think I could integrate the store into a CMS at all. The reused content is already funtioning fine with php, so if this content can be added with php, or if I can actually have each page link to the same content, good. There is a bit of php code within this content that I would like to maintain, having to do with random outputs, month of the year, etc.

These sites run php4 on MySQL.

Like I said, if I can learn one CMS, that's awesome.

If it's free, awesome. (Of course, when things get going good, donations are made, but in the beginning it's tough.)

If I can have one CMS power Site 2, that would save some updating, etc.

I started looking into Typo3, and in the past 2 weeks feel I can use this, but I am having trouble with parts, and find there aren't many resources in English that I can turn to for help (forums, articles, etc.). The main Typo3 site is very confusing and tough to navigate. And the people on the forums seem unwilling to put a lot of thought into their replies to help those getting started.

So, I'll use Typo3 if I have to, but I'm at an early enough stage where I can definately change.

I looked a bit into CPG-Nuke this morning, but it looks cookie-cutter without much room for template modifications. I could be wrong though, because I only spent about half an hour on that site.

Any suggestions on a CMS that will fit my needs?

EDITED: I want both applications to be search engine friendly. I forgot to mention that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    http://subdreamer.com ?

i use it, it's quite good..and easy to learn & search engine friendly

SitePoint Zealot virginiamonkeys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I discovered phpwcms.com yesterday and also discovered the actual news reader feed for the English segment of typo3 as well.

I like the ease and the power of phpwcms, but it's not as powerful as typo3. If I can get answers to my problems on the typo3 news site, maybe I'll stick with this.

I guess there's nothing really inbetween the two that's free, is there?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I used typo3 a while ago, but I don't know how are the things right now. Typo3 is really powerful open source CMS, for me one of the best. There's also Mambo and few other free CMS solutions. In your case, I think typo3 is the best solution, but you need to spend a couple of days to get started using all powerful typo3 features. Most of all Typo3 has a great community (german is favourable language in their community ww.typo3.net) and as I can remember there's a lot of great add-ons with detailed instructions and documentation that could help you in your case. There's of course SEO solution where you can use mode re-write for all typo3 generated pages!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    The Hardest Blog On The Planet
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++