SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much should I get paid.

I have a web site that I designed over 6 years ago for someone. It was meant to offer online courses, sell study tapes etc. So I created all the pages, various small graphics, and setup a shopping cart, integrated to authorize.net. This being late 1999 when of course it was more involved to do this type of work. The majority of the site had a deadline so it was done in a week's time, should this matter valulation wise?

I also got outside links to the site, promoted it too via my web site, and newsletter.

Now I need to put some sort of valuation on this. The client has used the basic structure since then, and added more pages etc.

The best thing to do would be to look at the site as it was when I last worked on it via the internet archive. http://web.archive.org/web/200006191...roamerica.com/

If anyone could help me put some sort of value on this, it would be great. Should it affect things that I am only getting paid for this now.

Thanks,

Gary Miller

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you looking to hire us to appraise your work? How much will you pay for a decent appraisal of your work?

This is my appraisal: Even though you did the job back in the 90's you still have to give it today's value. If you wanted to give it a 90's value then you should have sold it back in the 90's. So, since you said it is old Technology and only html pages have been updated since the 90's and some of the graphic's is broken. Also, the layout looks straight out of the 90's (crap) and the cart is broken. "We regret that our shopping cart is down while the Macrobiotics America web site is being redesigned." So, I can't say anything about how you coded your cart. So, I am guessing it isn't better then OSCommerance or Zencart. I can't compare it to CubeCart or any other cart's that are free/pay.

I would say xx$ is all I would pay for crap like that.

Honestly, goto hotscripts.com and compare you cart technolgy to those that are being currenlty sold. Your carts value is on par with the script's that are offering the same as yours is offering. Did your even have an Admin area? I am asking, because in the 90's I don't know if they really did in depth admin area's.

Now, if you were looking to hire someone to appraise your work then PM me so I can give you my paypal address.
    Last edited by allstar; Dec 6, 2005 at 11:54.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry but you are looking at a snapshot of the site exactly as it was from late 1999 via the internet archive. For graphics to be broken is normal. The cart again is coming from a 1999-2000 link, and has been disabled at this point.

I am asking for vaulation on this as if I presented the client an invoice in late 1999 for the work, not comparing this to what is out there today.

Gary

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're asking for something that is incredibly difficult to do.

It would depend on people knowing the state of web dev at the time, the going rates, etc...

Why do you want to know anyway? Are you planning on billing him now? :P

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well maybe do your best to value it in today's terms.

The inital agreement was that I was to share in the profits of the courses offered etc. In the end I never particpated in that process, so we are trying to bring closure to this, so by attaching a value to what I once did seems to be the best solution, and then billing for it.

I know this is hard, buy any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Discussing actual dollar ammounts is forbidden at SitePoint. Just reminding everyone of that.
    Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, if it's been six years since you did the work I would just write it off or ask him what he wants to pay.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say back in '99 you would of got a lot more for it then what you're going to get for it now.....Seeing you did so many years ago you probably just should be happy if they are willing to pay anything.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a contract? 6 years ago you developed a website and never got paid for it. Do you think there's a judge that'll give you the money - because they probably won't. I wouldn't pay you if I was the client - not after 6 years. That wasn't even the deal to begin with... you said so yourself... so there's not even a verbal contract to enforce.

If they're willing to pay anything you'd be wise to take it. They can probably hold out and not pay you a cent without any reprocussions whatsoever.