SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mod_rewrite vs. mod_rewrit

I have been trying to prevent other sites from linking to my images, and I was planning to use .htaccess and the mod_rewrite module to do it. The problem is, in my server's phpinfo, it lists a module called mod_rewrit instead. This module seems to function differently, as using RewriteEngine in my .htaccess file causes a 500 Internal Server Error. I tried using "RewritEngine" instead, but this doesn't work, either. Does anyone know how to make a .htaccess file that makes this module perform the same function as mod_rewrite?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*BUMP*

Can anyone help me with this question?

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, how were you planning on doing it exactly? Another thing is that your host may indead have mod_rewrite loaded with apache but may have allow override OFF so that users can't override config settings in .htaccess files. [silly question] Have you asked your host if they allow ReWrite rules and conditions in .htaccess files? [/silly question]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was planning to use code such as this to stop direct linking to my files. The strange thing is, I've used this exact code on other servers, and it worked perfectly. But when I try it on the server my site is on, it causes 500 errors. I don't think my host has override off, since I use .htaccess to point to my own error pages. Also, my host claims that mod_rewrite is working on my server and that other users have it working for them, but they refuse to help me set it up, since they don't offer support with "configuring site options". BTW, since I forgot to mention this earlier, here's a link to phpinfo on my server.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another bump...

I still need help with this... can anyonehelp me?
    Last edited by Krang; Sep 27, 2001 at 21:58.