SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What should I do to get my forums rolling.

My site has been up for quite a while about 3 months and has yet to gain a new member besides myself. I have tried some different things like trying free advertising like trafficswarm and that was not successful. Also I realized that my site in google was just a link, the site was not even cached on it. Also on my link on them It would for some reason not include a description of the site. I updated the meta tags so I am waiting to see if that fixed it. Are there any other ways to gain members? I have tried posting some articles. The site I am talking about is the computer forums in my signature. Any advice / help would greatly be appreciated.

NEW: I made a new header and it is currently applied to the site.
    Last edited by delman; Dec 6, 2005 at 19:48.
    My blog is at bsteng.com
    Plus I am trying to start up a friendly
    VW Golf/Rabbit and Jetta forum at ClubGolfJet.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting about the lack of google listings. Are you posting in various forums, including a link in your signature? That alone will typically get you listed - although search engine spiders here at Sitepoint cannot see signatures. I would suggest to do this first...post in other forums with a signature.

Dont use services like trafficswarm, no matter what they claim, all they are going to do is get you untargetted traffic. If you cant afford paid advertising, I'd suggest signature links and link exchanges - get quality link exchanges with sites similar to yours.

I dunno...you've tried articles also, which is another good way to get traffic - have you submitted them to article sites? Perhaps try a contest or two - if you cannot offer a monetary prize, offer special forum privileges....Most importantly - give something for your members to come back for...I dont see very much content in your forums, it leaves a poor impression on me as a first time visitor, which means I'm not likely to return

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theres not a lot of posts for 3 months up. Try to do at least 10 new posts a day. Maybe hire a few people from sitepoint for $5 for 35 posts like I am doing. Also the header/logo looks out of place. Also child boards are not nessasary at this stage - it only dilutes your content. Even when taking these thing into consideration you will need to put in the effort yourself keeping posters motivated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined your forum, by the way - if this helps you in any way emotionally

1. I had trouble finding the 'register' link. Consider changing your link colours, perhaps?
    2. Majority of your posts are articles, which do not really invite discussion. Articles are a good source of information, but you will not get too many responses to them. Try to make posts with questions or even general comments on any of your forum topics - something that can generate comments in return. People come into your forum expecting discussion but they find an article database. Many may be leaving just because they did not find what they were looking for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might want to spend a little on a good header and if you don't have time to post yourself hire some people to build some content.

You have a pretty good domain so you should get pretty decent return on investment for what you put into it.

You have a LOT of competition with CPU forums. Perhaps post on busy forums of that genre that allow sig links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do post exchanges in the Trade Your services seciton. I'm willing to exchange posts with you. Just PM me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    definitely get a new header

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try to engage in post exchanges with other members, there's a few webmasters on the 'Trade your services' forum looking for new forums to exchange posts with them.

To get it rolling, try to send out a newsletter to get your old members back, and see if they'll post again.
    If not, add new content.
    Love pets? Why not discuss virtual pets?
    Contact me on Twitter @cpvr