SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look, PHP is much more popular if you look to quaniity in websites, everybody knows that. However, PHP has low enterprise adoption in comparison to Java and .NET. If you plan to work in or with large companies in the coming 5 years (optimistic caluclation - it's probably closer to 10), you are much better off if you are a .NET or Java shop.

That might be very different in 5-10 years, as PHP IS coming along strongly. However, Java and .NET are ALSO making bold moves, so predicting the future here is pretty much impossible.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for all your replies, this is really interesting to see everybody's viewpoint. I'm starting to learn OOP techniques using PHP (with the SitePoint book) and, although the concept of OOP is difficult, I can defintely see why OOP is the way to go.

I'm not a fan of Microsoft and I don't really agree with the way they run their business. I want to try and stay away from them best I can. Which, I reckon, is ultimately better for me. It's making me explore alternatives, try out other ways of doing things, instead of just following the way Microsoft think I should develop.

Thanks PaulyG too for your earlier post, PHP does have a great following and in a sense I know Im not alone with any of my PHP problems. But thanks to everyone who has posted.

I've always been abit worried about using JavaScript because people can just disable it, but I suppose if I use it just for little things (that are not important to the site) then that should be OK.

With all my learning of OOP techniques etc. I should be able to pick up Java alot easier right? I know it's different to PHP (in the way it works) but it's something I would like to learn in the future.

But I've downloaded some Java applets and bits and bobs and can't help but feel that Java seems quite slow? I use LimeWire and that's written in Java right? That's quite slow I reckon. I've downloaded some little Java games and these all run quite slow... But JSP... Is that different to the rest of Java? Is JSP worth learning or is it basically the same as PHP (with what it does).

Cheers again for all replies. Very helpful
    James

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google still use PHP for their development. They actually work using both, PHP and Phyton.
    Takitei
    FAQtion.com - Get answers to your development FAQs now!