SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Looking for an e-commerce script

I work with small to medium clients within the Toronto area in Canada. I'm looking for a robust e-com solution that will support Canadian Tax regulations, Canada Post (shipping) and also provides the following features:
    - Good Reports (most e-com scripts I find are lacking good reports to measure sales performance etc.)
    - Content Management (option to create additional web pages + manage via wisiwig)
    - Multiple Currency Support
    - etc.

I am considering /www.x-cart.com. I would like to know if anynone has used xcart or if there are any other good alternatives out there?
    Also would like know what your thoughts are on using a php vs asp/.net application. Will php provide performance and reliability for my clients? Or is .net/sql the way to go? Most of my customers handle about 10,000 users per month.

Really would appreciate any help I can get on this.

Thanks,
    Diego

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I would have to say oscommerce would be a good choice to look at. They are free, but they also have a huge community. And not to metion a large database of free mods and addons.

And I have also used Xcart before, and I dont really have anything negative to say about it either.

Thanks
    Tbase
    I want to BUY Google API Keys (Soap).
    PM me if you got one to sell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mall23 (mall23.com) has all those things. It was developed with Canadians in mind -- with the CP integration and taxes systems.

You also have the ability to create additional pages and news using a WYSIWYG editor and the reports are excellent.

Let me know if you have questions.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x-cart is a waste of money. It is just an oscommerce clone. You might as well just get oscommerce and save your money.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use oscommerce
    you can't beat free when it does everything you need it to

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith
    x-cart is a waste of money. It is just an oscommerce clone. You might as well just get oscommerce and save your money.
    Not neccessarily. Some people might like having professional support available should anything go wrong. X-Cart and LiteCommerce both come with support hours included, and even purchasing additional support is very reasonable.

I think the code is written much better as well... the template system in LiteCommerce is much easier than OSC.

In all reality if you can't afford to spend a few hundred dollars on a shopping cart you shouldn't be opening an online store.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. X-Cart has many features not offered by OsCommerce.

Have u tried with X-Cart Pro version?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x-cart is a waste of money. It is just an oscommerce clone.
    Johnsmith, I have just read all your messages here. You always (ALWAYS) criticize X-Cart and you always (ALWAYS) defend Digishop... It's so funny, and quite sad for Digishop. I'm actually looking for a good shopping cart software and finally, I will not test Digishop because of you and your messages...

So, thank you!

P.S.: sorry for my poor english but I'm not english.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the earlier poster x-cart is just an oscommerce clone. There are many of those out there. Watch out for them. x-cart support is horrible and they nickle and dime you for everything.

I would recommend danise cart.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonga do you mean Dansie cart (www.dansie.net)? Talk about bad support!! I have a client using that cart and aside from the fact that every setting is in a configuration file (no web based administration) their support is noexistant. We emailed about a number of things and often waited a week for a reply.

X-Cart support has been excellent. They have never made me pay for anything that wasn't custom work. I do have a client that didn't want to set ANYTHING up and they helped configure all the settings for her - at a price (used the included support credits - it didn't cost her extra).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's with the one-post drive-by's? *giggle*

X-Cart is not an OSC clone. It is a stand-alone, independently developed product. It was initially designed in a different language and at my last review had not been completely ported to English. Additionally the developers did not speak good English so obtaining good support was often difficult, both via live support and via the documentation. The language barrier w/ the documentation was quite notable -- many headaches there. Maybe things have improved, but after receiving several reports from friends who used X-Cart, I pretty well steered clear.

In my experience, OSC or any of the OSC clones would work well (Zencart or OSMAX). They have the ability to build custom static pages via a web-based WYSIWYG tool. The clones have extra features built into them which you would otherwise have to manually build in using contributions.

Truly I would recommend taking a very hard look at OSCommerce and then spend a couple of days going through the available Contributions. You can dramatically change the performance of the cart through Contributions, and there are literally thousands of them. It's pretty cool.

Anyway I hope this helps shed a little light on things, at least from what I have seen.

Bailey

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used oscommerce before and I'd advise you to stay away from it unless you are really comfortable with PHP. It seems like its a project that has grown and grown and if you want it to do alot of real-world stuff your going to need to install several contribs or grab one of the "loaded" versions. You end up with a lot of spaghetti code and a general lack of support (since it's free). So like I said, if you are a pro with PHP then by all means save some money, but otherwise I'd try something else.

I haven't tried X-Cart but I've heard support is pretty good.

As for PHP vs. ASP.NET? In the end I'd say go with what you are more familiar with. I started off with PHP but switched to ASP.NET because I felt more "at home" with it and felt like I could do the same things faster with it. Besides that, you should consider that PHP products are cheaper to license (many times free) and cheaper to host than ASP.NET.

If you do want to try ASP.NET I'd recommend trying bvcommerce, as I've had a pretty good experience with that one.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i will advice oscommecre, i have done near 20 projects for my clients on oscommecre. So as per my idea that oscommecre can aslo provide you belwo extra features:-

1.) Your own web site design template. Oscommecre shop cart can be customized as per any template design
    2.) You can have SEO url's in your links, like if you have sony camera, then the URL's can be done as belwo

http://www.yourdomain.dom/sony/sony-camera.html

So it means the URL, will be indexed in google and will help in search engine rankings.

3.) Meta titles will help you to rank in search engines, like, for sony camera product having category of SONY, can have title like below:-
    Your website name - Sonly - Sony Camera

There are other many features in the oscommerce.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try www.zen-cart.com I have created many shop using it and its versatiliy is amazing!
    Regular user

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think not as usefull as oscommerce. i am also doing SEO from last 6 years and i found the Oscommerce customization and SEO very best as compared to other carts

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You All For Your Feedback. Much Appreciated. I Have Decided To Go With Excart For Now.

Regards