SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Course Help, Which One Should I Take?

I have a few choices on college courses for helping me along with my web site. Yes, I'm still in High School so I'm just doing this for fun, and for a little bit of credits. (1/2 for 3 credits of the course.)

One course is to teach me C/C++. Do I really need to know that? I mean...it's computer programming. I know if I do this perfessionaly, it will look good on a resume. I just doubt I need it now, for a personal site.

Another course teachs me an intro to HTML and web page design....I have that down basically. This woudl proabbly be my way to go to get to other, more advanced courses.

So, my big question is, should I take the C/C++ programming course? Would I ever need it?

Yeah, I know I have another thread like this but....I never brought into that fact about computer programming. Just would like some advice.

Thanks
    -LadyLily
    You know the Legend of Zelda Series?
    Who doesn't?
    Link's Worlds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C/C++ is nice to know, but unless you're actually going to use it I see no point in spending your time trying to learn it. As far as webdesigning is concerned, you will most likely never need to know C and C++, especially for a personal website.

If you're interested in learning programming languages focused on the Web I would look into Perl, PHP, JSP or ASP.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C and C++ are very good languages to learn how to be a programmer. C can be used to formalise a programming education and teach the foundations of programming, regardless of what languages you wish to learn. I suggest if you have the opportunity you should take this course, you may never use C but you will reuse again and again the principles of programming that learning a language like C can teach you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To just expand on what Nicky said...

I think C/C++ would be a great class to take. Try to learn the concepts and the theory behind the programming... once you get those, learning any other languages (PHP/Perl) will be extremely easy.

Go for it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've learned C/C++ and personally...done "nothing" with them...they're not related to web design whatsoever.
    But i give Nicky the credit and my instructors at IBM...it did teach me the principles in programming generally...which i'm using now
    If you have the choice to just take C...and not C++...please do that...it's no use wasting time on C++

Just get the basics from C and move on..

Enjoy!
    Glad to be BACK

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take the C++ course.

Learning a language like C/C++ will greatly prepare you for other languages.

Also most HTML/Web Design courses are horrible. Take a course on graphic design and learn design traditional design techniques. Buy a book on HTML (you shouldn't need a course for it) and study up. But don't waste time and money on a course that probably is taught by someone with very little experience. Usually a quasi computer teacher. In some classes the more flashing gizmo's on your site the higher the grade.

Learn design from the real designers. Take a Graphic Design course.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks you guys for the input, now I'm going to make an educated guess about which course to take. Probably the programming course, it seems to be my best option. I also thought that the design course would probably be bogus so.....

I hope I learn something from it.
    -LadyLily
    Who doesn't?
    Link's Worlds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...another question. I've ruled out the design class...seems like a programming class woudl be the best option. I also saw taht there is another programming class that teaches Visual BASIC. Is that worth payign attention to or not? What is Visual BASIC anyway?
    -LadyLily
    Who doesn't?
    Link's Worlds

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uhhhhh VB <shudder>

Basically VB is a Microsoft prototyping tool for developer, personally, I think it is a waste of time and ALL VB developers I know call themselves programmers and can't code to save their lives. If you must learn a Windows application then go for Delphi or Builder all the way .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    uhhhhh VB <shudder>

Basically VB is a Microsoft prototyping tool for developer, personally, I think it is a waste of time and ALL VB developers I know call themselves programmers and can't code to save their lives. If you must learn a Windows application then go for Delphi or Builder all the way .
    Ah ha, so you use this code for soemthing like ASP, right? Doesn't seem like something that is very useful at all.
    -LadyLily
    Who doesn't?
    Link's Worlds

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure I understand your question but VB and ASP are two completely different things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just starting to read a tutorial on ASP and they were talking about VB Script and stuff. So I automatically made this connection after figuring out what VB really meant.... My question really was: "So VB script is what you use, or at least shoudl know, when programming for ASP?" I think I worded that right.....
    -LadyLily
    Who doesn't?
    Link's Worlds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they arent COMPLETLY different, asp uses VBScript wich is a cut down version of VB, if you have experience in VB then ASP will be alot easier to pickup and you will already have an understanding of how to code VBScript if you have learnt VB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but really I found VBScript quite useless, you can do mych better things with PHP.