SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Community web site a business?

Hello, Recently a friend and I have been working on a community web site that is aimed at providing a place online for the young people around a particular area to interact and find out about offline activities in that area. We have just launched in a kind of 'beta' mode and was wondering of the legalities involved in running a web site like this.

We plan to start making some money from the places we advertise on the web site and even to start running promotions with some of these places. We are located and focus on an area in Victoria, Australia.

Do we need to register as a business for this type of thing or not? We probably won't be making much more money than covering our costs. Atleast to begin with.

Thanks for any and all information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you generate revenue, or at least plan to, it's a business and should be registered with your government as such.
    Jeffrey Hunt, freelance PHP & MySQL developer
    Resume: http://www.jeffreyhunt.org/resume/

SitePoint Enthusiast phantomceo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it can turn into a million dollar business actually if done right. As for registering, check local laws.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you need to register. It doesn't matter how much money you make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats not completely true, there is no requirement in the UK to register if you are acting as a sole trader or partnership - possibly for tax purposes, once you earn over a certain amount, but certainly no requirement to register with the government...
    Nearly 7 years old!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information. I will talk with my partner and register ASAP. If anyone has experience in this type of website and knows about the laws in Victoria, Australia. I would be interested to hear any advice or tips you had.

On a side note, I've just started using Google AdSence. The only tax information required through them was for US citizens. Is there anything that needs to be done for those in Australia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexC
    Thats not completely true, there is no requirement in the UK to register if you are acting as a sole trader or partnership - possibly for tax purposes, once you earn over a certain amount, but certainly no requirement to register with the government...
    Well if he intends to make more than $6000 AU pa here (if he makes less then he can declare it as a hobby and pays no tax) then he will need to register at least an ABN to become a sole trader, but if he wants to form a company with other people then he should get an ACN as well.

On a side note, I've just started using Google AdSence. The only tax information required through them was for US citizens. Is there anything that needs to be done for those in Australia?
    Nope, but you have to declare it when you do your tax.

I think both of you should at least get an ABN as a sole trader, then once you make enough money and see this as a viable business, get an ACN and get incorporated.