SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on what system do you develop? mac, windows, linux...

on what system do you develop websites (with php&mysql)? mac, windows, linux...

ATM I do it on Windows, but I want to do it on Linux...
    What Linux distribution is the best for this-->I have Mandrake now, would that do fine, or are there maybe better ones to develop on?

are there many mac developers?
    PHP-Webservices - Profesional Hosting and Programming of sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are barely any mac developers (or users) and any flavor of linux will do fine. Mandrake and Redhat are generally the easiest to setup and support the most hardware.
    ck :: bringing chris to the masses.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that many developers, including Rasmus Lerdorf are using Linux to develop web applications with PHP and MySQL. Question - why Linux if Windows can do the same? PHP and MySQL works just fine in Windows, so what's the reason so switch to Linux to write a script, then go back to Windows to use that script on a web site?

I guess it's all up to a web developer, some people prefer to write PHP in Notepad, some are in Linux using VI-like editor, some are in Windows where PHP "tags" are in color (depends on an application).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because linux is a) Faster b) more stable c) more powerfull. It is also more difficult for most ppl to learn. If you learn quick linux is good but if Windows gave you problems avoid linux.
    Microsoft’s Motto: Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated…

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows. like Pweb said, it's fine to devel on Win. <sarcasm>and, of course, i also do it b/c Windows is the best server platform in my opinion.</sarcasm>
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I didn't want to come across like a rude jerk, I use windows for normal things but Linux's IP stack is way better than windows. I have ran several network speed benchmarks and Linux (even on a slower pc) out preforms windows virtually every time. Linux is also more secure, by far. Linux needs more HW support still though. <joke='Windows is defiantly a good OS if you never use you pc'>

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer to ssh to my server and edit the files with vim. That way, I can edit my scripts no matter where I am, as long as I have access to an ssh client.

Sometimes I use Windows (PuTTY), sometimes I use my Linux laptop, and I've even sshed from a Hilton's public computer terminal to my server and worked from there.

midnight coder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Windows to make PHP scripts, since there isn't any performance difference when all I'm doing is making a text file. The test MySQL database wouldn't exactly have a million records so no problems there.

All the files are in my own HD, only I will be seeing it, so all the network, security things doesn't affect anything.

Of course, after all the scripts are complete, I upload them to a proper Linux server for the world to see.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost exclusively use a semi-geriatric mac (almost 4 years old) as my main workstation pc. That is, I use BBEdit on mac to write up my scripts, surf the web, send/receive email, and do most of my daily computing on. Why do I use the Mac? Because, it has a 21 inch monitor attached and a video card that can handle it and its just legacy/habit and all my periferals are for mac serial port or scsi port (scanner, printer, zip, burner, etc). But my system is in dire need of a reinstall - there are definitely problems running IE. But, who has the time and can afford the risk of reinstalling and rebuilding the system? So it just limps along. Also, it doesn't have enough RAM (only 96MB) - but they are in 32MB strips and damned if I am going to spend good money buying more 32MB strips (when you can buy 128MB strips for the same price almost - but it only takes max of 64MB strips anyway - which are a waste of money also).

However, at the moment I am on a really geriatric PC (booted into windows) - a PI 166 MMX. Yet, IE and Mozilla still outperform the mac even though the CPU is a third the speed of the mac - go figure. I boot up the windows when I want to test out a site in windows - duh! Or when I want to code/compile something for windows platform in C++ or VB, etc.

But, for web development, I generally code on my Mac and have the PC booted into Linux (RedHat 7.0) as the development server. Why? Because, I am not experienced enough in Linux admin and so want to take every oportunity to develop my sysadmin skills more (such as configuring and compiling binaries, etc, etc). Also, on the Mac BBEdit and Interarchy are a killer combo - you can dl files over ftp edit them directly in BBEdit and when you save the changes the files is reloaded onto the server thru ftp. I would try and run one of the linux ports for powerpc but I don't have a supprted video card in the mac.

I am affraid to say, that this old 9600/300 powermac will be my last mac (its not OSX compatable). It will last a few more years to use to test sites in mac - but otherwise my next investment will be in a up-to-date intel/AMD PC which I will build myself. Once they stopped making macs in beige boxes, I knew that it was going to be time to move on.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mac web dev

I use a Mac to develop web applications etc. I'm probably one of the few
    programmers who can do graphics since I started doing graphics and
    wondered onto programming.

I use BBedit and Anarchy to upload to my Linux server host. I find
    working on the Mac more productive for myself.

I love PHP and Mysql since they are fun to use and the users of
    both of these languages are enthusiastic. I've found more helpful
    people that use PHP, it's great. Ive learned a lot from Kevin Yank's
    knowledge and articles. He emails you too. : )

I only use Windows 2000 when I start it up on my Mac with Virtual PC.

With the Mac OS X becoming more mature it will be nice to run things
    locally. I'm not running X til it becomes version 10.1 (this september)

http://www.apple.com/macosx <<---shameless plug

thanks,

-BaddSectorr
    signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think the main problems with linux is that it's slow...win2k boots twice as fast and is imo more stable, linux crashed more then win2k...
    never used a mac though

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just have to ask where you got that win2k is faster? I run Linux on a 200 Mhz/32Mb RAM system and it boots way faster than my 800Mhz/256Mb RAM Win2k PC. My linux box will run for months and months on end perfectly, windows can run about a month or two then it has to be rebooted or it becomes a slugg. I think that if you install a GOOD linux distro and recompile the kernel to match your needs it is awsome, I have found about a 5 to 10% speed increase when I trim the kernel down and stop all the junk you don't need from ever running. Probably if linux is unstable for you it is due to the WM you are trying to use (Gnome or KDE right?) try Blackbox, tiny memory footprint, fast and very stable. just my thoughts.

Oh yeah, I use windows (98 & 2k) for most of my day to day stuff, but there is no question when it comes to servers or if you want a fast download....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on both my 350 and 1300 box windows 98 and 2k load a lot faster then linux - mandrake 8.0 - KDE

I'm not l33t enough to recompile my kernel

imagine no limitations exbabylon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a 500hz e-machine/win 98 but it's been a little, uh, worked over whall we say. 256 ram, vodoo video, 18"flat, dual 10gig 10Krpm hdds, php/mysql/sql/apache. I know my way around win9* optomazation, and have my boot time down to 11 seconds. I am HARD on a machine, and crash win98 about once a day religiosly, this is no put down on 98. I also run a 1.4AMD with 512ram running win2K and will crash it at least once every two days when I'm using it hard. ME goes about every twenty minutes. I choose the e-machine because of the USB port setup and ease of use with my hub... also because I like 98, for me it's a good combination of speed and reliability. GoLive 5.0 is my partner in development, and usually photoshop6, golive5, ns4, ie5, outlook2k, and qb01 are constantly open.. then winamp of course hooked to a beast of a home stereo type system

Oh, and I LOVE Linux, but I haven't had the time nor experience to configure a machine to run it, usually I use SSH and putty to converse with semi remote linux systems through networks and such. It's STABLE, I have been able to use it for a few weeks, yet to crash it, and I also like the mac, very stable, but it sucks for web dev when you do most of it on a win9* and are used to the neat windows convienences....
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Exbabylon- Professional Internet Services

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mac guy here

I do all my stuff on a Mac. I write the code in BB Edit and use Vicomsoft's FTP Client to upload stuff. I have a PC sitting behind me running Win 98, 2K, and Red Hat Linux 7, but do i ever touch it? Nope.

I use Macs for everything, including gaming with my GeForce3 and Sound Blaster. The only time i use Windows is to check my site. Because, as most Mac developers know, Windows machines seem to display the page screwed up when it's perfect on your Mac. I also need to deal with the newer releases, like IE6 which screwed some thing up.

I also use OS X, or would if i could. I tried to install OS X 10.1 (leaked build) and it ended up freezing and giving me kernel panics ever since. Thankfully, i never use it so have nothing to backup. I'm doing a clean install when Apple releases OS X 10.1 this September <-- More shameless plugs

Honestly, i don't know what i'd do with out my baby, i mean, BB Edit.

SitePoint Enthusiast middleground's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Mac guy here

Originally posted by gekko
    Because, as most Mac developers know, Windows machines seem to display the page screwed up when it's perfect on your Mac. I also need to deal with the newer releases, like IE6 which screwed some thing up.
    Yeah Boy to the perfect on Mac- different on windows.

I'm not near the developer that you guys/gals are, but I do all my web stuff on my Graphite Imac SE (the original SE- 400 Mhz). Once You Go Mac- You Never Go Back (now where is that bucket of water- I feel flames coming). I program under Win2K at work, and by the end of the day- enough of Windows.

Wish I could mumble this part- I use Adobe GoLive for the web thing. Before all anti-wysiwyg editor people slam me- I do most of my work in source code mode and only flip to the wysiwyg for layout checking. I agree the wys.... editor can wreak havoc on "trying to help by modifying code"- but if your careful- this is not a problem.

I like some of the features- change a file name and it prompt to change all site links, has excellent site ftp management, etc.
    Remember- Every day above ground is a good one...

On the Web @ MyWebThing.com; and Lansberry.net