SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone give me a good reason why I should actually upgrade from 1.0.7?
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realise you can switch styles using view->page style menu, but how do you persist this change? As soon as the page refreshes the stylesheet switches back to the default.
    Any ideas?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hillsy
    Incremental updates. From now on anytime there is an update to FireFox it can download it automatically for you and install itself. Plus it will only install the update, not the entire browser again.

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The BEST feature of 1.5 is that when you load a page from a folder its opens a new tab instead of changing the page you were viewing. I hated that before.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ikeo
    I was going to say that was absurd, but I just opened up Firefox and it is taking up 120MB of RAM right now!.
    Sometimes Firefox will start eating up 45% of my CPU cycles (I have hyperthreading if not it would be 99%) and I have to kill the process and restart firefox.
    Firefox frequently runs at 100+mb of RAM, but this is because I usually have like a dozen tabs open. Every tab consumes RAM based on the total file size of the files that make up the page being displayed. An instance of Firefox with a lot of tabs open to small text only pages would consume a lot less RAM than an instance with lots of tabs open to graphics and scripting heavy pages.

Firefox only eats processor time when something on a specific page is doing something (like a flash animation). If there are no actvities on pages Firefox has open, it should be consuming almost no processor time. This is why I use Flashblock. For instance write now I have 11 tabs open and Firefox is consuming 128,204 K of RAM and is using 1-2% of my processor while I type this message. As soon as closed a couple of my tabs, the amount of RAM being used dropped by 2 MB.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hillsy
    One word SECURITY.

One should always run the latest version of products like a web browser to make sure that they have all of the security fixes. Unlike Microsoft who continues to patch multiple versions of Windows, the only way to keep Firefox completely patched is to be running the latest version (in this case 1.5).
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ikeo
    I was going to say that was absurd, but I just opened up Firefox and it is taking up 120MB of RAM right now!.
    Sometimes Firefox will start eating up 45% of my CPU cycles (I have hyperthreading if not it would be 99%) and I have to kill the process and restart firefox.
    This is exactly the other problem, mine has gotten to 57% and I have hyperthreading too. I love firefox but the pages that were open were my own so they dont have flash or anything.
    Oz
    GamersMark - On Target Gaming
    OzTheory - Programming and Web Solutions
    AmIBlocked - Check if you've been blocked on IM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an example.

My Firefox was eating about 50MB.
    Opened about 70 tabs, once they were all loaded, Firefox was using 220MB.
    Closed all the new tabs, memory went down to 125MB.
    Where did that extra 75MB come from?

Seems to me there's (still) a memory leak. I'd bet that if I were to run that test over and over without restarting Firefox, I'd eventually bring the application to its knees. That's not really supposed to happen, and I think that's the core of the criticism of Firefox and memory.

Or is there a flaw my methodology?
    Get linky and try it.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FF makes quite a bit of use of the cache for fast switching and storage of non-changing web pages so quitting out of pages does always clear pages. The memory used by FF will be larger compared to IE because IE is part of the OS so much of its memory usage is hidden in that part. IE is part of Windows Explorer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm
    Seems to me there's (still) a memory leak. I'd bet that if I were to run that test over and over without restarting Firefox, I'd eventually bring the application to its knees. That's not really supposed to happen, and I think that's the core of the criticism of Firefox and memory.

Or is there a flaw my methodology?
    Get linky and try it.
    I do see the same thing. I think there are still some memory leaks although Firefox is much better than it used to be. I find pages that automatically reload like news.yahoo.com on a regular basis cause the most problems. Then again, commercial programs like ZoneAlarm have horrendous problems with memory leaks so sadly memory leaks in Firefox is not suprising.

I just keep hoping that problems like this will become less and less in the future. Of course I've been hoping memory leaks in software would get resolved for over ten years now, so I don't know why it would change now.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't followed this hyper-threading thing too much even though I'm a programmer/hardware guy but I believe it must be specifically used by a program and most programs do not use it. There is an article out there that even says HT is slower than regular uPs without it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tabs tabs tabs

Quote Originally Posted by KLB
    Firefox frequently runs at 100+mb of RAM, but this is because I usually have like a dozen tabs open. Every tab consumes RAM based on the total file size of the files that make up the page being displayed. An instance of Firefox with a lot of tabs open to small text only pages would consume a lot less RAM than an instance with lots of tabs open to graphics and scripting heavy pages.

Firefox only eats processor time when something on a specific page is doing something (like a flash animation). If there are no actvities on pages Firefox has open, it should be consuming almost no processor time. This is why I use Flashblock. For instance write now I have 11 tabs open and Firefox is consuming 128,204 K of RAM and is using 1-2% of my processor while I type this message. As soon as closed a couple of my tabs, the amount of RAM being used dropped by 2 MB.
    I usually start having trouble at 5 or more tabs. Firefox tends to freeze on me - especially when I am switching tabs 'right when the other page is almost loaded' .. havent noticed any difference in 1.5

btw - its not my pc running slow .. 1 gig ram .. the os disk is 50% full. It has ample room to move in all directions and firefox is the only app that locks like that. It almost always recovers but it will lock for 3-4 sec's.

Did notice page size tends to be high related to how many tabs I can open. But I can barely ever get to 10 or so. I would..

I figure this will get better in time, but I have been hoping to see the behavoir fade as it scales. My pc should be able to handle 40 tabs..
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm
    My Firefox was eating about 50MB.
    Opened about 70 tabs, once they were all loaded, Firefox was using 220MB.
    Closed all the new tabs, memory went down to 125MB.
    Where did that extra 75MB come from?

Seems to me there's (still) a memory leak....
    I was just trying to open a bunch. I realize that that it takes time for it to start locking up and sticking like I was saying. It hangs when I try and tab to another page or close a tab thats loading, sometimes a tab thats open if its already half-stuck. I open / close a ton, so I bet I am loading up my ram and then gradually with dw / fw / tb / sql server open, I blow out the rest. The hang is probably FF trying to clear / get ram from the OS..

Makes sense to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have yet to upgrade on my dev machine, but I have upgraded on my gaming pc. I can notice the back/forward browsing speeds increase (caching). I am waiting on some extensions to be updated such as:

• eWebMail Color and graphics (which I use for WYSIWYG editing in Yahoo! Mail and Hotmail
    • Google PageRank Status
    • LoremIpsum Content Generator
    If anyone has any tips or tricks to mention, please do.

I'll have to agree here w/ KLB as far as the flash pages and auto-loading pages such as news.google.com which I constantly have open. My memory constantly sits @ 100 megs give or take 20-30 megs. I've got 2 GIGs of memory, so its really never a problem unless it creeps to 200megs, and it sometimes does. It makes browsing almost impossible. I haven't don't any troubleshooting to see. I just relaunch the browser (using SessionSaver) and continue where I left off. My memory returns to about 100 megs at this point.

Don't know if this has been said, but I think once FF has the years behind that IE has, it'll be a whole different story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eWebMail has been updated. PageRank works with 1.5beta2 so it will probably work with 1.5 final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been told this is the updated version of Lorem Ipsum from the author.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox rules.
    http://WWW.ARCBOUND.COM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MCsolas
    It hangs when I try and tab to another page or close a tab thats loading, sometimes a tab thats open if its already half-stuck. I open / close a ton, so I bet I am loading up my ram and then gradually with dw / fw / tb / sql server open, I blow out the rest. The hang is probably FF trying to clear / get ram from the OS..
    When Firefox hangs like this, take a look at your hard drive light. I bet your hard drive is thrashing as Windows is shifting stuff between virtual memory and RAM. You might also find during these times that even though Firefox and other applications are running slow, you are not maxing out the processor because the bottle neck is not the processor but the swap disk and how fast your hard drive can read/write.
    InternetSAR.org

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Memory hog plain and simple! The 1.5 I have on one machine is 10 times worse than 1.07.....

I do know much of the problem with FF memory use is because the load all the bookmarks and whatnot into memory on first load of the day. Ever notice how FF takes SO freaking long to load when the machine has been rebooted? It's because they are loading all your settings and bookmarks into RAM. Every load after that is quicker.

This is also the reason for the "FF crash - bookmarks gone" issue so many people have reported (myself included). They seem to have a file pointer from RAM to the bookmarks.html file in your settings. When the app crashes it wipes the bookmarks file out ...... GONE!

Sorry kids but I am SO over FF it's not funny. Yeah it was a great app and alternative to IE when it came out but they have managed to bloat it back up to NN 4x proportions and I've had enough of it! I switched to NN 8.0 three months ago and haven't looked back since. As much as I HATED NN 4x, 6x and 7x (oh what a nightmare) I LOVE NN 8.0 just as much.... I have all the FF toys with NONE of the FF problems. They have lost me forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because the load all the bookmarks
    The bookmark file is tiny. I have a ton of bookmarks and it's only 15K Unless you mean all the links in under bookmarks in which case that's not true. FF only caches visited pages.

It's because they are loading all your settings and bookmarks into RAM.
    Because FF cannot be embedded in the OS, like IE is, it must load all its software components when you first boot it up. IE is part of the OS despite the Justice Departments ruling that MS must remove it. Wonder whatever became of that?

I had never heard of the crashing bookmark thing. You do have an automatic backup copy that is easily recoverable. It's just an html file.

I've run FF since 1.0.3 and I've not had any significant crashing problems. Yes, it has crashed a couple of times. For example, I went to an old university site from 1998 and tried to view a .pdf. FF crashed while IE just hung.

I maintain nine computers for myself and some relatives, all non-tech types. They all use FF. I've never gotten a call from anyone about FF crashing or losing bookmarks.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    They have lost me forever.
    Bye. When Netscape goes out of business (again) in a few years, I guess you'll use IE then?

Umm. PHP Guru....Naaaah jaswinder_rana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    Sorry kids but I am SO over FF it's not funny. Yeah it was a great app and alternative to IE when it came out but they have managed to bloat it back up to NN 4x proportions and I've had enough of it! I switched to NN 8.0 three months ago and haven't looked back since. As much as I HATED NN 4x, 6x and 7x (oh what a nightmare) I LOVE NN 8.0 just as much.... I have all the FF toys with NONE of the FF problems. They have lost me forever.
    I have been meaning to do that too, but also wanted all the extensions.
    So, netscape has all the extensions? (inlucding developer toolbar)??
    i'll change now. I have had same problems with firefox (used with dreamweaver, because both are resource drinkers). and with 1.5 its getting worse.
    ---------------------------
    Errors = Improved Programming.
    My Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    eWebMail has been updated. PageRank works with 1.5beta2 so it will probably work with 1.5 final.
    Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    I've been told this is the updated version of Lorem Ipsum from the author.
    Thanks alot. Now I can update all my machines that run FF. I was hoping that I didn't have to go to all the individual sites to update these products. Being able to right click on each and check for updates was a great idea if it worked correctly. After immediate update to 1.5, it didn't know that there were updates for certain extensions. Probably meaning that the developer hadn't the chance to update Mozilla's Directory of extensions. Ah well. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably meaning that the developer hadn't the chance to update Mozilla's Directory of extensions.
    You are correct but I think it is actually Mozilla hasn't updated their part yet but I don't know.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No differnce to me. I'm still having trouble viewing some flash content.

I just see the flash placeholder, and some text that instructs me to "click to install missing plugin"
    After I click, it says "plugin not found"

The strangest thing is that i'm able to view the flash adverts on the macromedia website Any pointers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which OS? Not Windows, right?