SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Website members + Invision Power Board Sync?

Ok I have a membership site, the website uses PHP & mySQL. I bought a copy of Invision Power Board. My website members are stored on a independent database, and the website has several levels of signups like so:

1) Free
    2) Silver
    3) Gold
    4) Platinum

What is want is to disable signup via forums and allow signups through the website only. Once signed up (if free) they will be in Free Members Group - the default member group i have atm. And if they signup as Silver once registered they'll be in Silver Member group etc..

My signup form consists of the following fields:

first name, last name, username, password, confirm, password, email address, confirm email address, timezone, DOB, agree or not

Basically it contains the details the forum requires too, so is it possible for me to pass on the details and force register a forum account when an account on the website is created...? both member database is separate and have no connection, if so how can i achieve it? i been all over the internet searching for a solution, its been day 3 yet no solution

I'm sure you understand what I'm trying to achieve here but if my explanation isn't good, please ask! and I'll explain again.

Thanks in advance!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the purpose of using two seperate member databases?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamingdesigner
    What is the purpose of using two seperate member databases?
    Exactly what I was thinking, not a very normalised data structure and lots of repeating data.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well the site is kind of huge and its better to keep the website data in its own database.

On ipb install igave its database "ipbfoums" db name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would disagree, better to keep it in it's own place...

Cant you just redirect the IPB register script to your own?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm i'll restate my problem. The Website is totally different and its terribly complex to touch my websites database. The forum is just a new service i'm adding to the website, meaning the IPB tables and my websitables cannot be merged.

Please do forget the different db issue.

My prooblem here is simple, is there any simple way to allow my website members to login to the forums with the same username and password, without going through seperate registration... *sigh*

Take ryzom [dot] com for example, they use vB however they have three service:

1) Online Game [ seperate table and db of player's characters etc..]
    2) Website account and suscription management [ seperate data ]
    3) Forums [ seperate db ]

however all of them are inter-linked, and the members use the same username and password on whatever service it may be. And they have only one registration form through wich you fillin the details, pay and then all the services are generated in just a page load.

So forget the different db issue, i'm just asking for a simple solution to allow ipb forum to co-exist with my website.

btw I figured a theory, I noticed that in admin cp of IPB, you could force create a new user, i thought to myself "if i know what files it uses than i can maybe post the details to that page during my website registration" Then i figured that it might require admin access. Geer i'm confused on how to make them both co-exist!

Thanks in advance

sorry about the typos i'm just too frustrated.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VigilPHP
    Take ryzom [dot] com for example, they use vB however they have three service:

1) Online Game [ seperate table and db of player's characters etc..]
    2) Website account and suscription management [ seperate data ]
    3) Forums [ seperate db ]

however all of them are inter-linked, and the members use the same username and password on whatever service it may be. And they have only one registration form through wich you fillin the details, pay and then all the services are generated in just a page load.
    Its possible that although they use different databases they use the same user database, the one used by the forums.

Im working with the same principle. I have one database for my forum and one for my pictures. They all have their tables and properties but the users are extracted from the forums to use on the photogallery. This is to disable different user systems.

Currently Im trying to extent this feature into my site where unregistered or signed up or specific users can do different things.