SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alien databases in MySQL?

I opened phpMyAdmin and discovered four new databases that I didn't create (I am the only user on this shared hosting plan): forumdata, freewareforum, rmoforum and veforum. When I try to drop them, MySQL returns:

Error
    SQL-query:
    DROP DATABASE forumdata
    MySQL said: Access denied for user: 'myname@localhost' to database 'forumdata'

The databases contain no tables. What are those alien monsters, and how to kill them? I am new to PHP, so any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On shared hosting you can almost always see everyone elses databases if you try hard enough. When you try to delete them you will get an error because each database on shared hosting as it own permissions which are set making only one person able to delete it. When you try to edit it, same thing, except it will always say no tables found because you don't have permission.

If you really want this fixed you can ask your host to modify phpMyAdmin to show only your databases.

-Peter

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Peter. So I don't have to worry about it? As long as those databases don't consume my bandwidth and disk space, I can live with them. In fact, it would be interesting to watch databases grow on the shared server. Unless there are hundreds of them, so you have to struggle to find your own ones...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually the databases have your username before them, but there is nothing to worry about.

-Peter