SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it a good idea to build your community around a portal?

Is it a good idea to build your community around a portal? The reason I ask is because I am going to be rebuilding my website. I have owned this website sense 2003 and have had allot of real life problems that have caused me to shut down the website. The website has been down for about a year.

I have been looking at Joomla and SMF. This is what I need the website to do. I need articles to be displayed on the front page. I also need the top 10 posts from the message board to be displayed on the front page as well. I need to be able to add articles into the website on the fly. I also need a place where users can add their own articles to be reviewed by me. Once approved I want them to be added directly into the main pages of the website. Also I need to be able to make subforums on the forum.

I just do not want to get a good community growing and then all of a sudden have to change the total layout of the website. Do you think Joomla and SMF are good building blocks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a few sites do this sort of thing. I'm pretty sure there is a mod to get smf and joomla integrated so you can get your top 10 or whatever on your home page. Go over to http://www.simplemachines.org/commun...php?board=77.0 and I think you will find some useful information about integration.

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I really know about Joomla and SMF regarding those features you need is that SMF can create subforums - I dont have enough knowledge on them to say whether or not they can do everything else. I do know that Drupal and vBulletin can be integrated together quite easily and can do everything you just mentioned - for a price of course, vBulletin is paid software. Anywho, that's just what I'm using for my site, so that's how I know and that's why I suggested it

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't build it around a portal unless you're going to have a lot of content that isn't from posters on your forum. If you have content, then it might be okay, but I tend to stay away from them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends really, I prefair not to because you are at the mercy of the developers of the bridge continuing to support the bridge for future versions of the forum and the portal software.

In the case of the SMF/ Joomla bridge, it's developed by an SMF developer so you probably can feel a bit more confident about support being retained for it.

If your needs are simple, SMF may be able to do everything you require without a portal, my site for example is almost all powered by SMF's SSI.php feature.
    Last edited by scotty_b; Dec 12, 2005 at 05:04.
    Liverpool FC Forum SMF powered with 2.4 Million Posts - UK Proxy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually dislike usage of portals because when an new version of forum comes out, you might not be able to really update your current forum until the portal is updated as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read an interesting thing the other day (can't recall where) that stated that if you stop looking at your bulletin board as an "application" but instead a series of tables, you can use the data in any way you want, for example, adding recent postings to your home page. You don't really need them to be "connected", just whip up a query of the postings and throw it on the home page.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willoworks
    I read an interesting thing the other day (can't recall where) that stated that if you stop looking at your bulletin board as an "application" but instead a series of tables, you can use the data in any way you want, for example, adding recent postings to your home page. You don't really need them to be "connected", just whip up a query of the postings and throw it on the home page.
    Yep, easy enough to do, although SMF provides a ready made way to do it, e.g. http://www.simplemachines.org/commun...i_examples.php
    Liverpool FC Forum SMF powered with 2.4 Million Posts - UK Proxy

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think it would be very important to have the community tighly integrated with the portal, if you are going to do it this way. That would mean a lot of customization.